Act for Kids is a prominent provider of free prevention, professional therapy and support services for children who have suffered abuse and support for families at risk. With over 25 centres nationally, we have supported thousands of children and their families for more than 30 years. In 2019 - 2020 we provided services to 44,894 people, including over 29,000 children.
Our SafeKIDS Program provides care for children in the remote Aboriginal communities of Aurukun, Napranum, Kowanyama, Pormpuraaw Doomadgee. We also operate a Family Reunification House in Cairns to provide residential care to large sibling groups in the process of being reunified with their parents.
About the job...
We are seeking a dedicated House Parent to deliver quality residential care to the kids and young people staying at the Safe House based in Kowanyama.
This exciting and unique opportunity is full-time, fixed term until 31 December 2023. Extension of employment contract beyond December 2023 is subject to the continued successful government funding of the program.
- Provide direct care to children placed in the Safe House and looking after their emotional, physical, cultural, relational and spiritual needs.
- Create a home environment for all children by providing daily routine, ongoing access to school and learning activities, teaching children new skills, and engaging all children in fun recreational activities.
- Respond calmly and provide a safe and supportive environment for children who are upset and experiencing difficult behaviours.
- Work closely with the Program Coordinator and other SafeKIDS team to keep within house budgets, contribute to regular reports and ensure ongoing compliance with policies and procedures.
- Working respectfully and constructively within the cultural context of Kowanyama.
- Lead and positively influence staff in best practice strategies for caring for children.
The working week for this role is Thursday through to Monday including weekends.
- Certificate IV in Child Youth & Family Intervention or other relevant recognised qualification (Community Services, Human Services, Nursing & Midwifery, Allied Health);
- Hope & Healing certificate;
- Experience delivering high quality care services for vulnerable children and young people;
- Demonstrated skill, ability and experience in caring for and raising children;
- Ability to engage in a two-way mentoring model with the Kowanyama cultural context;
- A demonstrated ability to put child rearing theories into practice;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality about our work with children and families;
- Cultural awareness and an understanding of how to communicate and work effectively with families from different socio-economic and cultural backgrounds, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
With over 70% of our SafeKIDS team members identifying as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, we encourage and welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
About the pay...
- Position is classified Level 3.1 – 3.4 under the SCHCADS award;
- Salary range is $62,743 - $ 67,270 plus 9.5% superannuation (pro-rata for part-time).
- In addition, as a registered Not for Profit/Charity, we offer excellent salary packaging options through RemServ which can significantly increase your take home pay.
About the benefits...
- Overall winner of HRD Employer of Choice 2019 (100-499 employees);
- Winner of HRD Employer of Choice 2019 in (1) Health & Wellbeing (2) Leadership (3) Work-Life Balance;
- Strong values based organisation;
- Excellent professional development options (including annual professional development fund opportunities);
- Paid parental leave and study assistance;
- Employee Assistance Program including Health & Well-being Portal;
- Excellent family-friendly and flexible work environment.
Blue Card Requirement...
From 31 August 2020, you are required to have a current blue card to commence employment at Act for Kids in Queensland. Please visit Queensland Blue cards for more information.
Click on ‘Apply Now’ to submit an application or for more information about the role, contact Sandra Faraimo, Program Coordinator on 0429 277 818 or Sandra.email@example.com or; Rebecca Daley, Workforce Development Specialist on 0408 511 154 or firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: House Parent (SafeKIDS) - Kowanyama enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.