Act for Kids is a prominent provider of free prevention, professional therapy and support services for children who have suffered abuse and support for families at risk. With over 25 centres nationally, we have supported thousands of children and their families for more than 30 years. In 2019 - 2020 we provided services to 44,894 people, including over 29,000 children.
We are seeking a dedicated Youth Worker to join our team based in Cairns.
This position is casual and will join our newly created Individualised Support Packages (ISP) team, working in close collaboration to provide holistic trauma-informed support to children who have experienced significant stress, trauma and adverse childhood experiences.
- Proactively engage, build rapport and connection and provide time-limited complex youth work intervention to young people (9-17 years old) within the Individualised Support Packages (ISP) program.
- Facilitate social learning, community connectedness, good health and wellbeing for young people.
- Facilitate school participation and relationship with the educational environment.
- Work collaboratively with other professionals and agencies to ensure young person’s goals are achieved.
- Link people into community youth support for sustainable support and change.
- Build and maintain service level relationships with government and and non-government organisations.
- A Certificate IV in a relevant discipline (youth work, community services).
- At least 2 years’ experience providing complex youth work to young people in a child protection context or who have experienced trauma and disruptions in attachment.
- An understanding of current child protection legislation and policy reforms.
- Cultural awareness and an understanding of how to communicate and work effectively with families from different socio-economic and cultural backgrounds, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Knowledge of lifespan and developmental stages for children and young people.
- Understanding of local youth focused services and intervention.
With over 30% of our employees identifying as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, we encourage and welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
About the pay
- Position is classified Level 3.1 – 3.4 under the SCHCADS award;
- The casual hourly rate is $39.69 per hour plus 9.5% superannuation;
About the benefits
- Overall winner of HRD Employer of Choice 2019 (100-499 employees)
- Winner of HRD Employer of Choice 2019 in (1) Health & Wellbeing (2) Leadership (3) Work-Life Balance
- Strong values based organisation
- Employee Assistance Program including Health & Well-being Portal
- Family friendly work environment.
Blue Card Requirement
From 31 August 2020, you are required to have a current blue card to commence employment at Act for Kids in Queensland. Please visit Queensland Blue cards for more information.
Click on ‘Apply for this job’ to submit an application or for more information about the role, contact Tamara Stafford on 0400 794 444 or Tamara.Stafford@actforkids.com.au, using the subject line: Youth Worker - Cairns enquiry via EthicalJobs.