About this position:
ActionAid Australia is looking for two passionate Group Coordinators to lead and organise the Perth Activist network. The Perth Group Coordinators will work closely with the ActionAid Policy and Campaigns Team and the broader activist network. Group Coordinators oversee their local ActionAid Group and its respective activists to organise and campaign to achieve impact in their communities.
Once a week, for 2-4 hours. Minimum 12 months commitment.
Perth (both face to face and online).
Roles and responsibilities
- Working with the Community Organiser and the Activist Support Team to coordinate your local ActionAid activist group.
- Morning check-ins and reporting back to the Community Organiser on a monthly basis.
- Supporting the local group to set objectives, project manage and organise actions within a limited budget that are strategic and contribute to campaigns.
- Participating in monthly National Leadership Team meetings every second Wednesday. These meetings are held online starting either at 4pm or 5pm AWST (dependent on daylight savings).
- Identifying and developing activists who can be potential leaders in their community
- Managing volunteering enquiries and conducting inductions with new volunteers.
- Scheduling calls to reach out to new volunteer interests.
- Tracking the engagement, meetings, events and actions of your local group.
- To work alongside the Activist Support Team in growing the local group and organising intentional conversations.
- Working with the Community Organiser to identify and step up leaders and doing handovers with the next Group Coordinator when they decide to step down.
- A time commitment of 12 months , up to four hours a week including online monthly National Leadership Team meetings.
- A passion for community organising and building people power in communities across Australia.
- Feel confident in interviewing and having intentional conversations with new volunteers to commit them to action.
- Some experience in volunteer coordination (although not necessary).
- New activists should be able to count on you for regular check-ins via phone/Zoom calls, introducing them to ActionAid Australia and support with challenges.
- Computer literacy and ability to use phone and email systems.
- Respect for ActionAid’s independence and an ability to work within this ethos.
- A demonstrated commitment and passion for women’s rights; and adherence to the principles of feminist leadership.
- Commit to attending the NLT retreat from the 26th – 27th February 2022.
- Commit to attending the She Wears the Cost campaign training on Sunday 13th March 2022.
- The flexibility to work face to face and digitally.
- Have the self-drive and initiative to organise actions and local events to campaign on She Wears the Cost.
The Community Organiser is based in Sydney, Australia. As a part of this role, the Perth Group Coordinator is expected to have effective communication skills and a willingness to commit to the monthly meetings and morning check-ins with the Community Organiser.
We will contact you within a fortnight from your application. If you have any additional questions please contact Shay at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Group Coordinator (Voluntary) enquiry via EthicalJobs.
We actively encourage women, people with a disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, People of Colour, LGBTQIA+ and people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities to apply.