The Australian Education Union - ACT Branch invites applications for the above vacancy. Members of the ACT Public Service may be eligible to take leave from the employer to fill this position.
NOTE: This position is for a fixed term of 12 months following commencement with the possibility of extension if required.
Duties of the Position
Under the broad direction of the Senior Industrial Officer, you will:
- Assist in the industrial work of the Branch, including negotiation of working conditions, enterprise agreements, advocacy in industrial relations tribunals and other forums.
- Provide case support and advocacy services for AEU members, including supervision of the work of the support officers.
- Support the work of the organising team by providing information and advice as required.
- Provide training to AEU members and officers.
- Represent the Branch on consultative committees and stakeholder forums.
- Prepare papers and research industrial matters for the Branch.
- Attend Branch Executive, Council and all Mass and Stop work Meetings.
- Provide and seek legal advice (as requested) on behalf of the Branch.
- Prepare relevant reports and appropriate articles for the Branch Journal and Annual Report.
- Revise current Branch policies and draft new policies in relation to industrial issues.
- Undertake other duties as directed by the Secretary or Branch Executive.
- Proven ability to operate effectively within the Fair Work system
- Demonstrated ability to provide industrial relations training, expertise, and advice.
- High level industrial research skills
- Ability to work strategically as part of a small team, including supervising case support work.
- Ability to work constructively with employer HR representatives to achieve good results for members (as appropriate)
- High level organisational and communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to public education and trade union values.
- Demonstrated understanding of the industrial and professional issues facing public educators.
- Current legal practising certificate or eligible to hold a practising certificate.
License: It is a requirement of this position that employees have a current driver’s licence and a registered and appropriately insured motor vehicle for use in the position. Employees are entitled to an allowance for work related travel.
The AEU’s Objectives
- To obtain and secure for its members the best possible conditions and proper and sufficient remuneration and to guard them against any hardship, oppression, or injustice in connection with their employment.
- To foster, protect and promote the interests of government and public education, including kindergarten and preschool education, infants and primary education, secondary education, technical and further education, education at universities and colleges of advanced education and recurrent education.
For further information, please contact Patrick Judge at the AEU office by emailing Patrick.firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Industrial Officer enquiry via EthicalJobs.