Aboriginal Family Legal Services aims to provide free, culturally secure, legal and support services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander victims and survivors of family violence and/or sexual assault.
We are seeking a Community Engagement Worker (CEW) in our Broome office.
The Community Engagement role forms a liaison between victims of Aboriginal family violence and the services provided by Aboriginal Family Legal Services (AFLS).
Aboriginality is a genuine occupational qualification and is identified under Section 50(D) of the Equal Employment Opportunity Act. AFLS seeks to recruit an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander into this position.
Roles and Responsibilities include:
- To promote our service within our regional communities by referring clients to AFLS solicitors for legal representation.
- Undertaking community legal education and facilitating general support services.
- Provision of administrative duties relevant to upkeep of client data with an exceptional understanding of confidentiality.
- Working independently and within a team to coordinate and present at remote community programs; including the ability to travel to these communities.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications or equivalent relevant experience
- Ability to travel remotely for outreach services.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Sound computer skills
- Experience in dealing one-on-one with clients.
- An understanding of Aboriginal family violence, domestic violence, and sexual assault
- Ability to interact with Aboriginal people in remote and rural communities by way of working with clients and the wider community in relation to violence and sexual assault.
- Ability to provide information & education to clients and the wider community.
- Experience working in a team environment
- Experience working with victims/survivors of family abuse
Essential Eligibility Requirements
- Current ‘C’ class WA Driver’s License
- Current Federal Police Clearance
- Working with Children’s Check
Applications should include a Letter of Introduction and a Resume including names of two (2) referees.
This position is open to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders. AFLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
AFLS reserve the right to close this position prior to the closing date.