- Flexible location will consider any major or Regional Centre in NSW
- Full Time 12 month contract with possibility of extension
This is an Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander identified position which is a genuine occupational qualification and is authorised under section 14(d) of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977.
The Community Legal Education Officer is responsible for the development and delivery of effective communication and education strategies, plans and programs to increase the legal knowledge of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Drafting CLE materials in plain English that are both legally accurate and accessible to our community and clients
- Working with the broader Communications and Marketing team to deliver useful, accessible and timely CLE information via the ALS website, social media channels, electronic direct mail (eDM) and other channels
- Designing and delivering community information sessions, in-person and online, in collaboration with ALS solicitors and field officers
- Building contacts through the Aboriginal community-controlled sector and collaborating with trusted partners to increase our reach and maximise our impact
- Consulting with community, identifying gaps in community legal knowledge
- Identifying priority areas in consultation with ALS solicitors and the executive team and developing strategies to address these through CLE
- Aboriginality - this is an identified position under Section 14 (d) of the Anti-Discrimination Act, 1977
- Broad understanding of the NSW and ACT legal systems, particularly the areas of criminal law, family law and civil law practised by the ALS
- Excellent understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal communities and individuals across NSW and the ACT, and sound judgement to solve problems in a culturally appropriate and sensitive environment
- Qualifications and/or proportionate experience in law, communications and/or education
- High-level written and oral communication skills, and ability to translate legal concepts and jargon into plain English
- Highly developed interpersonal and influencing skills
- Strong project management skills and significant experience in developing projects, seeing them through to successful execution
- The ability to work autonomously and in a team environment, applying sound judgement
- Current valid unrestricted NSW Driver’s licence and a willingness to drive in metropolitan and country locations, travel intrastate and stay overnight or longer
How to apply
Download the application package attached for this position below before clicking the "Apply Now" button.
Only candidates with completed application packages will be considered.