- Are you passionate and motivated about human rights?
- Use your highly developed analytical skills, political judgement and strategic thinking to create social change at a leading advocacy and campaigning organisation
- Full time, permanent role based in any of our Action Centres
If you’re passionate about human rights and looking for a role where you can make real social change this is an exciting opportunity to join Amnesty International’s Impact team. Our Impact team delivers campaigns to ensure people’s human rights are protected in Australia and around the world. The Strategic Advocacy Campaigner is responsible for delivering strategy and supporting campaign delivery across the Impact team, and advocacy with decision makers, to win our campaigns.
We’re looking for an experienced campaigner who will develop, implement and evaluate campaigning, advocacy and external affairs strategies in partnership with the Impact team, AI staff and activists, and other organisations and communities. The Strategic Advocacy Campaigner will assist in the development of strategic campaigns, including reactive campaign moments, build and nurture relationships with political decision makers, departments, thought leaders and other key influencers, to progress Amnesty International Australia’s (AI Australia’s) human rights objectives.
You will be responsible for:
- Leading campaign development and implementation to support AI Australia’s objectives with a focus on campaign strategy and advocacy and external affairs.
- Representing AI Australia’s campaigns to decision makers, departmental staff, diplomats and other influencers in an impactful, authoritative and professional manner
- Preparing high quality written materials to develop and support campaign and advocacy priorities including briefs, submissions, speeches, letters and media materials
- Supporting and providing advice to Campaigners and senior AI Australia representatives on advocacy and external affairs matters including strategies for influencing key decision makers and public positioning of AI Australia’s work
- Providing professional management of direct report(s)/team
- Developing and delivering campaign strategy and content advice to AI Australia staff and supporters
- You will have a nuanced understanding of the political and policy making process and experience in influencing outcomes for positive change.
- High level communication & interpersonal skills, and emotional intelligence (written, face to face, telephone, social media), including writing and presenting for and to a range of audiences, speaking in public and in the media and strategically using digital communications
- Proven experience in working with diverse stakeholders including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, communities and organisations; and experience and ability to develop and implement participatory processes with relevant rights holders
- Demonstrated high level understanding of Australian parliamentary processes and proven experience in developing government relations and advocacy strategies that deliver positive outcomes
- Highly developed analytical skills, political judgement and strategic thinking
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and effectively as part of a team
- Familiarity with human rights issues and social change methods and tactics, including experience of mass mobilisation, activism and organising techniques
- You will be available for frequent interstate travel, particularly to the ACT.
To view some of the fantastic benefits that you will be offered as an employee, please visit our website.
To learn more about this role, please view the attached position description. You must attach a resume and address the following selection criteria in your Cover Letter as part of your application.
- Please provide examples of how you have successfully influenced political and policy processes through the provision of relevant expert advice.
- Please outline how you build relationships with all kinds of people and your experience in understanding and responding to diverse stakeholders and providing them with innovative and appropriate solutions to grow and strengthen partnerships.
- Please provide an example(s) that showcases your proven ability to interpret complex policy into compelling pitches to politicians, bureaucrats and other stakeholders in all formats.
- Please share your experience in making sound and principled decisions based on consideration of the facts and alternatives, and ability to craft organisational priorities to seize opportunities to progress them.
- Please outline your leadership skills, commitment to working in a team, and ability to illustrate self reliance and initiative.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion at Amnesty
AIA is committed to making reasonable adjustments for candidates with a disability or other access needs during the recruitment and selection process. If you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment and interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Strategic Advocacy Campaigner - Flexible Location enquiry via EthicalJobs.
We are committed to equal opportunities in all areas of our work, community and partner relationships. We want people to achieve their full potential, which will positively impact on our work and the communities in which we operate. At Amnesty International Australia, our values empower people to be themselves within an inclusive and supportive environment. We are a movement of people from all walks of life around the world. We intend to actively contribute to building a more diverse and inclusive team.
Amnesty International Australia is one of Australia’s largest not-for-profit organisations. We are an independent, global movement that campaigns courageously for human rights for everyone.
We’re ordinary people from all walks of life, standing together for justice, freedom, human dignity and equality. We use our passion and commitment to bring torturers to justice, change oppressive laws and free people imprisoned just for voicing their opinion.
We’re independent of any government, political ideology, economic interest or religion to ensure we can speak out on human rights abuses wherever they occur.
Every day we move closer to a world where human rights are enjoyed by all.
We stand for equality, justice, freedom, and human dignity and uphold these values:
- Empowerment - we build people power
- Persistence - we are resolute in pursuit of our goals
- Integrity - we hold ourselves to the highest standards
- Courage - we are fearless in upholding human rights
A position description is attached.