- Full-time, fixed term (due to parental leave - approximately 12 months)
- Carlton, Victoria
The AMWU represents members in a wide range of manufacturing industries including food and confectionery; metal and engineering; printing, design, and packaging; technical, supervisory, and administrative; and vehicle building, service and repair.
We are seeking an enthusiastic person with a demonstrated high level of organisational and clerical skills who cares about the quality of their work and the service they provide to their colleagues and the members.
A commitment to Trade Unionism is essential.
It would be beneficial for the applicant to have a demonstrated experience in a similar role.
Salary is commensurate with experience. A 3 month probation period will apply.
Summary of essential job functions
NOTE: The following statements are intended to describe the general nature of the work being performed in the role. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Provide clerical support to the Industrial Department while working in a team environment. The principal function is to set up, maintain and record the legal files of the Industrial Officers
The person selected for the position will be responsible for their own work, will work with limited supervision from the Administrative Officer and will have a demonstrated capacity to exercise a high degree of discretion, initiative and judgement and can appreciate the sensitivity of this role.
Training will be provided.
General Duties: Clerical duties with additional duties outside of normal responsibilities required from time to time.
Provide clerical support to the Officers of the AMWU in a competent manner, in accordance with branch procedures, protocols and policies.
- Drafting routine correspondence
- Opening legal files
- Putting together the paper and electronic legal file and keeping it stored, tracked and up to date
- Lodging and serving applications with tribunals and courts
- Liaising with tribunals, courts, witnesses and officials to ensure legal action progresses in an orderly manner
- Dealing with the Australian Electoral Commission to facilitate protected ballot applications. Putting together court files, exhibits etc for hearing and trials.
- Archiving and storing files on completion
- Maintaining calendars and schedules and sharing out workloads
- Screening and directing incoming calls
- Required to exercise limited discretion, within the range of skills and knowledge
- Assist with research functions from time to time
- Preparation, formatting, proofing, and editing of documents using MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint or equivalent.
- The ability to understand legal processes and rules.
- Good English and writing skills.
- The preparation of well formatted and well-presented documents.
- Sound record keeping and administrative ability.
- Composing letters and emails.
- Arranging travel and accommodation reservations.
- Screening telephone calls, taking of accurate messages and follow-up.
- Identify urgent or critical matters and taking the appropriate action.
- Handle enquiries within scope of functions using initiative and discretion.
- Stationery maintenance.
- Carry out company searches using external database to determine correct details for companies as directed.
- Demonstrated qualification or competency within a legal area will be well regarded.
- Sound knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, and office procedures and terminology.
- Structure and content knowledge of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Intermediate skills to perform data entry and functions in Outlook and Internet.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills and the ability to work to strict deadlines.
- Commitment to participate in Professional Development to productively meet the demands of their position whilst having a successful and satisfying work experience.
- Knowledge of trade union research and industrial processes or previous experience in a legal area would be highly desirable.
- Background and experience with a language other than English will also be highly desirable.
- Advanced typing skills with 95% accuracy.
- Intermediate to advanced word processing skills in Word, Excel and Access or similar applications.
- Excellent oral communication and liaison skills. The ability to seek and obtain information from a variety of sources is essential to handle extensive liaison with AMWU personnel, employers, members, and other Unions. This position has a particular emphasis on confidentiality and high-level telephone and email skills, message taking and identification of urgent and critical matters.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills to handle extensive liaison with AMWU personnel, employers, and other unions.
- Demonstrated, high level, organisational and administrative skills, a service-orientation, and care for detail are essential. This includes a demonstrated capacity to organise one’s own work environment efficiently and to ensure that all tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Ability and Willingness to work in a team/collective environment.
- Methodical and accurate approach to work.
- Willingness to undertake variety of type of work, be flexible and take responsibility for ensuring that all tasks are completed with careful attention to the details.