About Arthritis Australia
Arthritis Australia is a charitable not-for-profit organisation and the peak national organisation for people with arthritis in Australia. We work in collaboration with arthritis organisations in ACT, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania and Western Australia.
About the role:
In this role you will develop powerful and visible national policies, drive advocacy efforts and, ultimately, help Australians living with arthritis make better and informed decisions about the management of their disease.
- Full-time position.
- Reporting to the CEO.
- Friendly, close-knit team environment.
- Work for an organisation that makes a real difference in people’s lives.
- Not-for-profit salary packaging arrangements are available, which can be tailored to individual requirements.
- Office location: Sydney – Glebe
- A competitive salary will be offered to attract the right candidate.
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Undertake research and policy analysis to develop policy positions and inform strategies to achieve advocacy priorities and goals.
- Consultation with Affiliate Arthritis organisations and a wide range of stakeholders including consumer medical and health professional bodies to inform the development of advocacy priorities, goals and implementation strategies.
- In consultation with the above groups, develop and implement Arthritis Australia’s advocacy agenda, including advocacy goals, strategies and activities for key advocacy priorities.
- Engage key advocacy targets and decision makers, including government, parliamentarians, regulatory authorities, business, industry and the medical profession.
- Plan and develop programs and projects with implementation strategies to achieve policy objectives and, working with the Finance Manager, complete financial acquittals.
- Oversight of Consumer Information Resources.
- Providing secretariat services for the Arthritis Australia Consumer Advisory and Scientific Advisory Panels.
- Monitor the policy environment to identify emerging policy issues and advocacy opportunities.
- Prepare submissions to government, Senate inquires etc on emerging health care, disability and related issues.
- Provide support to the CEO and the Board on policy and advocacy issues and activities, including liaison with government and departmental officials and assistance with briefings, speeches and presentations.
- Participate in external meetings to represent Arthritis Australia and present our positions on specific issues.
- Provide advice on media issues and inquiries.
Skills and Experience
- Proven skills and experience in health policy development and advocacy
- Sound knowledge of the Australian healthcare system and related disability and support programs, as well as knowledge of the operations of governments and how policies are decided and implemented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including a high level of discretion and diplomacy and the ability gain consensus at all levels.
- A record of successful engagement and strong relationships with high level external decision makers.
- Experience in planning, developing and implementing strategies and programs to achieve policy goals.
- Understanding or experience in managing government funded programs.
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work as a team or, where necessary with minimal supervision.
- Experience of working with a not-for-profit organisation is an advantage.
- Bachelor's Degree in appropriate field of study or equivalent work experience.
Jonathan Smithers, Chief Executive Officer, Arthritis Australia T: (02) 9518 4441