Provide high quality and strategic leadership and structure to the Barkly Regional Deal Governance Table (the Table) to ensure the effective function of the collaborative governance approach of the Table and ultimate delivery of the Barkly Regional Deal (the Deal).
The Deal is a 10-year partnership signed by the Commonwealth, Northern Territory Government and Barkly Regional Council in April 2019. The Deal features 28 initiatives to be delivered that respond to community-identified priorities, with an associated $78.4 million investment. Implementation of the Deal is overseen by the Table, which comprises diverse stakeholder representation including Aboriginal organisations, Land Councils, the Barkly Aboriginal Alliance, non-government sector, youth, business and the three levels of government.
The Barkly Governance Table is supported by the Barkly Backbone team (the Backbone), the team use the Collective Impact methodology to implement the work across the Barkly region. Working closely with the Backbone Executive Officer, the Table Chair will be an independent person appointed by the Table responsible for single point coordination and leadership of the Table’s governance and affairs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Provide high quality and strategic leadership to the Table adopting a collaborative, collegiate and non-adversarial approach to coordination and facilitation of the Deal’s objectives and project delivery.
Work collaboratively with the Backbone Executive Officer to settle meeting dates, arrangements and agendas.
Conduct meetings in a way that demonstrates excellent facilitation including:
- Fostering a positive environment for effective consideration of issues
- Supporting constructive dialogue between Table members
- Ensuring all members have an opportunity to express their views
- Problem-solving barriers in discussions including identifying and brokering solutions to ensure Deal objectives are met and initiatives progress.
- Ensure Table discussions are accurately summarised, and clear actions are established, assigned and followed-up.
- Appropriately manage actual and perceived conflicts of interest.
- Assist members to understand the nature of confidential information including how this information may or may not be used.
- In consultation with the Backbone, exercise the Chair’s power to convene out of session meetings or exercise the Chair’s prerogative, as required.
- Ensure that a systems change perspective is maintained by the Table, with a focus on challenging the structures and underlying patterns that contribute to disadvantage.
- Demonstrated executive leadership capability to shape strategic direction, and ensure continued momentum towards achieving objectives and project delivery in the Northern Territory or a comparable setting.
- Superior knowledge and understanding of good governance, including working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander governance structures.
- Excellent communications skills with a proven ability to relate, engage and negotiate with a diverse range of stakeholders from a wide range of backgrounds, including Aboriginal stakeholders, and lead and influence to work effectively and deliver significant initiatives and outcomes.
- High degree of cultural sensitivity and an understanding of the cultural context of the Barkly, or ability to gain quickly.
- Be of good character including reputation, integrity, creditability and accountability.
- Proven ability to deal with highly complex, sensitive and socially and economically significant issues and demonstrated knowledge of relevant government processes and policies for capital and grant-funded projects.
- Understanding of Systems Change, Collaborative Governance and Collective Impact, or ability to gain quickly.
- Applicant is based in the Northern Territory and available to travel if not located in Tennant Creek.
Remuneration: To be negotiated
Duration: Two-year appointment.
Travel Time: 4 meetings in Tennant Creek/Barkly, allowing 16 total travel days per year.
Contact: Benjamin Campion, Executive Officer at the Barkly Regional Deal Backbone Team on 0427 193 469 or firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Chair enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.