Context Statement: Batchelor Institute is the only First Nations dual sector tertiary education provider in Australia. The Institute gives precedence to its philosophy of Both Ways: positioning First Nations peoples as knowledge holders in all educational transactions with Western knowledge systems as well as privileging First Nations ways of learning and teaching to underpin our engagement with mainstream education systems and society more broadly.
Primary Objective: The primary objective of the position is to ensure the Institute receives payments for goods and services including grants and subsidies and records these transactions accordingly. The position will also include securing revenue by verifying and posting receipts and resolving any discrepancies. The position will work in a diverse team environment supporting the Finance Business Partner.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Work effectively as part of a team to carry out a wide range of financial transaction processing including accounts receivable and staff travel in accordance with Institute policy and procedures.
- Carry out the day-to-day functions of accounts receivable in accordance with Institute policy and procedures which includes but is not limited to timely receipts of accounts, raising and issuing invoices, banking of Institute’s monies and reconciling bank accounts.
- Carry out day to day functions of student and staff travel in accordance with Institute policy and procedures which includes but is not limited to booking of travel requirements, producing itineraries, calculating travel entitlements and processing of travel allowances.
- Under direction of the Finance Business Partner, process the AMEX corporate travel accounts and travel-related journals, as required, for the Institute.
- Undertake day to day System administrator duties for the TRIPS and online booking tool Qantas Business Travel (QBT).
- Monitor accuracy of travel requests and check delegations to ensure appropriate authorisation for travel before finalising TRIPS Movement Requisitions (MR).
- Preparation of journals as required for various transfers of expenditure to ensure expenditure is made within guidelines and budget capacity.
- Other duties within the range of skills normally associated with this classification as directed including but not limited to assistance in reconciling financial accounts, assistance in audits, and assistance in producing monthly reports.
Selection Criteria – Essential
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in culturally diverse teams within the social, political, and cultural environments of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families, communities and organisations.
- Extensive bookkeeping experience including accounts receivable, and organising travel, and successful experience in providing high quality financial and administrative support.
- Working knowledge of the Government Accounting System (GAS), or other financial system, in particular proven experience with accounts receivable and general ledger modules.
- A broad knowledge of the Institutes financial management policies and procedures and any relevant NT Government legislation including financial reporting requirements and purchasing and travel processes, or the ability to rapidly acquire this knowledge.
- Demonstrated organisation skills of a high order, including an ability to work under pressure and complete tasks within required timeframes, work independently and flexibly, be self-motivated, exercise initiative, attend to detail and work effectively as part of a team.
- Demonstrated comprehensive level of oral and written communication skills with the ability to maintain confidentiality and discern sensitive issues.
- Understanding of Work Health and Safety principles and practices, and ability to comply with Institute WHS Policies and Procedures.
Selection Criteria – Desirable
- Ability to quickly acquire knowledge of the Institute’s structure, functions and objectives.
- Knowledge and experience with financial procedures within an educational or government organisation.
- Qualifications in Business, Finance, or a related area.
An application lodgement form is attached.