Beyond Blue’s vision is for all people in Australia to achieve their best possible mental health.
Our mission is to work with the community to improve mental health and prevent suicide.
We aim to achieve this by:
- Promoting mental health and wellbeing
- Being a trusted source of information, advice and support
- Working together to prevent suicide
Research and evaluation are central to Beyond Blue’s work and are a key component of our Strategic Plan. Beyond Blue is committed to evidence-based practice and continuous improvement. Our products and services are grounded in research evidence and insights from our community and evaluated for reach, quality and impact. Beyond Blue aims to contribute to the evidence-base for mental health and suicide prevention.
The Knowledge and Learning Adviser is responsible for supporting the delivery of the Beyond Blue Research Strategy, design and implementation of the Beyond Blue Knowledge Translation Framework, and to support knowledge translation across the business.
Reporting to the Knowledge and Learning Lead, this role will work closely with the Research, Evaluation and Learning Team to ensure the effective undertaking, use and translation of research in Beyond Blue’s activities.
Assist in the implementation of the Beyond Blue Research Strategy 2020 – 2023, including:
- The Beyond Blue partnership grant funding scheme including assessment panels, contracting, partnership management with research teams, and knowledge translation
- Other activities such as developing an initiative to support peer-led research and the development of a position statement on Indigenous Data Sovereignty
- Ensuring alignment of all research investments to the Beyond Blue Strategic Plan and research priorities
- Developing a system to monitor the impact of Beyond Blue’s research investments
- Providing secretariat support for the Beyond Blue Research Advisory Committee
- Support the management of the research inbox and responding to queries relating to research, evaluation and monitoring from the community.
- Assist in the implementation of the Beyond Blue Knowledge Translation Framework, drawing on input from a cross-functional team, and support its socialisation across the business, and continuous improvement
- Support knowledge management at Beyond Blue and assist in developing evidence-based practice across the business
- Prepare and support manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed journals
- Work closely with the Research, Evaluation and Learning Team to ensure knowledge is translated into product and service design, delivery and continuous improvement
- Provide proactive, effective strategic advice and ongoing support to Beyond Blue staff on aspects of knowledge translation
- Maintain a bank of relevant statistics and knowledge on mental health and suicide prevention for use across the business.
Stakeholder Engagement (external and internal)
- Ensure the involvement of people affected by depression, anxiety and suicide in evaluation and research activities
- Work collaboratively with all team members and other teams within Beyond Blue to achieve overall objectives
- Support the Knowledge and Learning Lead to strengthen internal research and evaluation processes and systems
- Support the development of high-level briefings for the Beyond Blue Chair, Board Directors, CEO, Chief Strategy Officer and others, on research and evaluation matters
- Support a positive working culture within the Research, Evaluation and Learning team and fully participate in learning and continuous improvement activities
- Work with the Knowledge and Learning Lead and Head of Research, Evaluation and Learning to develop and nurture networks with external research and evaluation stakeholders.
- Ensure project management and business as usual activities (including management of relevant budgets) are implemented in accordance with processes and systems and are in line with company policy and program governance
- Provide high quality written documents including briefing notes, preparation of contracts and agreements, and project management documentation; provide input into the development of key reports, including Board reports, Beyond Blue external reporting, and ad hoc reports as required
- Oversee research documentation and systems
- Report on budgets for team-lead projects
- Be responsive to additional duties that may arise, as requested by the Head of Research, Evaluation and Learning or Knowledge and Learning Lead.
Qualifications and experience
- A tertiary qualification in a relevant discipline (post-graduate qualifications desirable) with extensive experience in a similar role. Experience in mental health and/or suicide prevention is desirable
- Experience in knowledge translation (in an applied setting) and research management (including grants management)
- Experience working on organisational-level strategies and frameworks
- Demonstrated ability to source and synthesise evidence and establish strategies and processes to ensure the translation of evidence into product and service design and implementation, and program and policy activities
- Experience in agile ways of working is highly desirable.
Communication and relationships
- Proven high-level stakeholder engagement with an ability to establish and nurture effective and positive relationships, internally and externally
- Ability to champion and generate enthusiasm for research and evaluation
- High-level communication (verbal and written) skills including the ability to adapt style to the audience
- Ability to influence with respect and in the spirit of collaboration.
Approach to work
- Well-organised and can work to deadlines with a high level of attention to detail
- Ability to manage complex and competing needs
- Flexible with a “can do” attitude
- Identify potential issues and work with others to deliver innovative and realistic solutions
- Ability to identify and contribute to continuous improvement of team activities, processes and ways of working
- Curiosity, a willingness to learn, and a strong evidence-informed approach to work.
If you're viewing this advertisement on another website, a current position description can be found on our careers page.
Preferred candidates will be required to undertake pre-employment screening, including a National Police Check and where required a Working With Children Check.
Short-listing of candidates will commence prior to the closure of this role, so please do not delay submitting your application.