Our Volunteer Room Leaders support the Emerging Communities Education Group (ECEG) to promote learning outcomes for children and their families from the Horn of Africa in the South East. Participating families are predominately from the South Sudanese community and may be experiencing disadvantage and/or be at risk of disengaging from education due to low literacy skills and limited access to resources.
The program is place based with the core purpose to strengthen education engagement, social inclusion and the health and wellbeing of young people and their families from migrant and refugee backgrounds. The program is designed to support the different needs within a family unit and our participants engage in programs tailored to early years, primary, secondary and parent education.
Room Leaders support participants who are grouped into age based activities: Early Years, Primary School (Junior), High School (Senior) and Mothers. Room Leaders assist with the general support and supervision of their room. Room Leaders also support the student’s learning, wellbeing and participation in program activities.
Delivered in partnership with Woodleigh School, the ECEG Program is delivered on a Tuesday at Monterey Secondary College during the school term.
What will I do?
- Assist with program set up and pack up, as required
- Mark attendance
- Partner Volunteer Tutors with participants
- Provide supervision and general support in a group setting
- Positive role modelling and sharing of skills
- Support students to understand, participate in and feel as though they are a part of Australian culture
- Develop strong and engaging relationships based on trust and respect
- Provide support and positive leadership to other volunteers
- Communicate regularly with Community Engagement Coordinator on student progress and any issues of concern
- Attend induction and training as required
We are looking for someone who
- Has demonstrated experience in leadership, education, problem solving and collaboration
- Is passionate about supporting children from culturally diverse backgrounds
- Has an interest in education, supporting student creativity and skill development
- Is committed to attending the program at the designated time once a week during the school year
- Understands and values diversity
- Demonstrates friendly, positive, polite and helpful attributes
- Can relate to children and adults from culturally diverse backgrounds
- Has excellent communication skills and is confident in tutoring students with English as a second language
- Is eager to contribute to a team environment
- Wants to contribute to the objectives and ongoing development of the ECEG program
- Understands and is committed to the values of BSL
We are especially who to involve people who have
- Demonstrated experience supporting children and young people from emerging communities, particularly those from refugee backgrounds
- Experience supporting children with complex needs
- Relevant qualifications in teaching, social sciences, community services, childcare or other related fields
- 3 hours a week, Tuesday afternoons from 4pm for the duration of the school year.
If you have any questions about this role please email email@example.com using the subject line: Room Leader - Emerging Communities Education Group - Voluntary enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.