- Location: Australia – Sydney or Newcastle NSW with some flexibility
XDI/Climate Risk is a specialist risk analysis company that helps organisations understand how climate change will affect their physical assets. We translate climate impact modelling into decision-ready metrics for government agencies, infrastructure managers, service providers, the real estate industry, and some of the world’s largest financial institutions. We regularly collaborate on non-profit projects with NGOs and academics.
XDI/Climate Risk provides high-quality quantitative analysis and solutions for climate adaptation anchored in science. This helps organisations make informed decisions regarding climate impacts to their operations. Our work shapes their planning and helps them better serve the communities they are responsible to.
Our industry is experiencing rapid growth and we are expanding our reach. As a result we are seeking a senior scientist to help tackle the complex scientific and mathematical challenges of our work, and to support the workflow of our science team. Our science and tech team is based in two offices in Newcastle and Sydney NSW. We also have an office in Adelaide, and remote team members working in Victoria and Qld. We're currently establishing an office in UK and North America, with Asia to come soon in 2022.
We're passionate about climate change and we hope you are too. This is a time of rapid change in the climate debate. Your work will contribute to the global push for a low-carbon economy and climate resilient communities.
You’ll be joining a team of analysts, scientists, engineers and programmers at an exciting time as the organisation prepares for its next stage of growth. Our ultimate purpose is to enable humanity to avoid dangerous climate change, and we need your help to make that happen.
- Work collaboratively with a small team of scientists, mathematicians and engineers to develop solutions to the scientific problems facing the business.
- Work on projects that address the challenges of managing various forms of uncertainty which come from the data and the mathematical and computational techniques we use to estimate climate-related risks.
- Execute special research projects either individually or by managing a junior team concerning climate hazards and computation of impacts.
- Publish research in peer reviewed journals where appropriate.
- Assist in developing materials to document and communicate our methods and their advantages and limitations, to be shared with clients and other stakeholders.
- Work with our commercial products team to ensure delivery of key features and capabilities within a timeline.
- Manage multiple threads and imperatives across a small team of scientists both junior and experienced.
- Develop relationships with peer researchers and organisations, and collaborate on methods development and impacts research with university and other institutional research partners.
- Support and mentor junior scientists.
- Minimum Masters level qualifications in climate science, atmospheric physics, data science/statistics, earth sciences or other relevant field.
- Experience with spatial data and scientific uncertainty.
- Ability to deliver complex projects on time and to budget.
- Mid – Senior level industry experience
- Experience managing a small team
- Experience with programming, agile methodologies and product planning
- Clear communicator, keen to help convey complex scientific narratives with accuracy, nuance and style
- Motivated to use your skills to solve important global problems
- Passionate about your craft and keen to grow as a scientist, to educate others, and collaborate with the broader scientific community
- Desire to contribute to our mission to shift the dial on climate change, help design new methodologies and ensure that existing methodologies are rigorous and reliable
- $100-130K (excl. super) depending on experience
- Permanent role
- Flexibility with the option to structure hours around other commitments
- Flexibility/WFH with offices in Sydney, Adelaide and Newcastle
- Exposure to climate science, risk modelling, and data analysis, statistics, machine learning
- A chance to help society tackle climate change and work on projects you can be proud of
- We're a new and growing team - you can help establish our culture
- We're striving to build a diverse and equal team - people from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply
- We're currently scaling our systems to handle recent growth
More Info on us
Interested in some of the work we’ve done? Read this ABC article based on our analysis, that includes an interview with one of our founders. Also the expert witness testimony we provided in the recent mine expansion case against the Minister for the Environment.
Take a tour of our company websites below to find out more about our work: