About the organisation
The First Peoples’ Assembly of Victoria (the Assembly) is the voice of Aboriginal people in Victoria in the next stage of the Treaty process. It is made up of Victorian Traditional Owners, elected by Aboriginal Communities, for Aboriginal Communities, to advance our rights, interests and benefits.
Our mandate is to work with the State to establish Treaty processes that recognise our sovereignty as the First Peoples of Victoria, support self-determination, and realise our human rights, to make Victoria stronger for everyone.
Walk with us and make history!
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual, who will be responsible for developing policy advice and managing projects to support to the leadership team. This includes supporting the delivery of core Assembly services whilst identifying emerging risks and challenges.
The position does not require in-depth knowledge about Treaty or similar processes. The ideal candidate for this position is a person with solid policy and project management skills who has a good understanding of Victorian Aboriginal Communities.
Reporting to: Policy Manager
Skills & experience required
- Comprehensive knowledge of Victorian Aboriginal Communities
- An understanding of Government decision making processes
- Previous experience in the provision of strategic policy advice and guidance
- Demonstrated management of relationships
- Working to challenging deadlines
- A collaborative and respectful approach
- Being a creative problem solver
- Solid influencing skills
- Conceptual thinking
- The ability to synthesise complex information and communicate it simply and effectively
- Degree qualified or equivalent experience
Salary & Term
- Ongoing, subject to continued funding
- Salary of $98,000 - $120,000 per annum (full-time equivalent) plus superannuation, based on experience and expertise of the occupant
- Conduct research and provide policy advice to support the development of strategic policies and projects
- Lead key strategic projects and deliver projects within timeframes
- Provide written and verbal advice to the CEO, Co-Chairs and the Management team of the Assembly
- Provide support to the Assembly's community engagement process.
- Support the Assembly team across all its work
Key Selection Criteria
- Demonstrated capacity to successfully provide support in the context of a Victorian Traditional Owner representative body - Willing and able to support the leadership of an organisation that is Aboriginal controlled and representative of Aboriginal communities in Victoria. Demonstrated understanding of the Aboriginal community in Victoria. Able to navigate complex relationships and act in accordance with the Assembly values. Willing and able to behave in a way that supports the achievement of the Assembly values and builds the reputation of the Assembly.
- Demonstrated capacity for success in a leadership role in a complex and contested environment - Willing and able to take responsibility for policy delivery and project management where required. Able to support the promotion, resilience and perseverance across the Assembly and maintain focus on the primary goal of achieving Treaties in a way that best furthers the achievement of the rights of Aboriginal Victorians.
- Demonstrated capacity for achieving results with others - Willing and able to take responsibility for policy delivery and project management where required. Able to support the promotion, resilience and perseverance across the Assembly and maintain focus on the primary goal of achieving Treaty in a way that best furthers the achievement of the rights of Aboriginal Victorians.
- Demonstrated capacity to achieve the highest standards of integrity - Willing and able to behave in a way that supports the achievement of the Assembly values and builds the reputation of the Assembly.
- MS Office proficiency
- MS Projects or related project planning/management tools
For further information regarding this role please email People@firstpeoplesvic.org using the subject line: Senior Policy Officer enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.