- Carbon Offset Credits - Agriculture, Forests, and other Land Use
- Salary: $80 - 95,000 plus 10% superannuation, and opportunity for salary packaging
- Location: Victoria preferred with flexibility in and working location and working times
OVERVIEW OF ORGANISATION
The Global EverGreening Alliance (The Alliance) is an international NGO which coordinates the development and implementation of massive-scale environmental restoration and sustainable agricultural intensification projects around the world.
The organisation was established by its members to facilitate a collaborative approach to the global problems of food insecurity, rural poverty, climate change and land degradation, and to develop and implement long-term solutions at a globally significant scale.
Its core members include World Vision, CARE International, Oxfam, Catholic Relief Services, Conservation International, The Nature Conservancy, the World Resources Institute and The World Agroforestry Centre.
We are seeking a Technical Advisor to drive our technical work on carbon offset opportunities linked to landscape restoration in & outside Australia.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL BE:
- Addressing climate change and poverty through innovative work on carbon offset credits
- Making a difference in the lives of people and communities in and outside Australia
- Working in fast-paced, small multidisciplinary team supporting the design, implementation, and monitoring of landscape restoration projects
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Provide technical guidance and input on carbon offset credits in the development process of landscape restoration projects in and outside Australia
- Provide technical guidance and input into the preparation and submission of evidence for certification, the costings, monitoring and verification of carbon offset credits
- Conduct research into carbon offset credits modelling, methodologies, measurement, and standards
- Develop and maintain network with GEA members, service providers, NGOs, research institutions and government agencies active in the carbon offset credits space
- Build capacity and awareness of GEA Secretariat staff, GEA members and implementing partners on carbon offset credits
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- MSc or PhD, or equivalent experience, in a relevant discipline, e.g. Forest Science, Natural Resource Management, Climate Science, Environmental/ Ecosystem Sciences
- Minimum of five years of experience in professional roles in research analysis and development in the areas of (agro)forestry, agriculture and/or landscape restoration
- Demonstrated experience in the application of certification standards for agriculture, forest and other land use projects (e.g., Verified Carbon Standard, Gold Standard for Global Goals, Emission Reduction Fund, Plan Vivo, ERF)
- Demonstrated understanding of biomass and landscape carbon stocks, carbon cycles, carbon accounting, greenhouse gas emissions inventories and modelling
- Demonstrated experience in converting complex concepts into high quality communication material for non-technical audiences
- Working experience overseas in international development will be considered an asset.
CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT
The Global EverGreening Alliance has zero tolerance to child abuse, discrimination, harassment and workplace bullying. All staff, including volunteers, are required to sign an acknowledgement and adhere strictly to the organisation’s child protection and other policies. In addition, the successful applicant will need to agree to an Australian Police Record Check and either provide or successfully apply for a Working with Children Check.
You must have the right to work in Australia to apply for this job.