- We will favour applicants in the Hunter region of NSW but will consider applicants from elsewhere in NSW
Healthy Futures is an organisation of healthcare workers and community members taking action to address climate change and related threats to health in Australia. We were set up by two doctors in 2015 and now comprise six part-time staff at a combined total of 1.5 FTE and over 1,000 supporters around Australia. We currently run three campaigns:
- Healthcare for Clean Air: advocating to reduce harmful pollution from coal fired power stations
- Campaigning for AGL, Australia’s biggest climate polluter, to replace their coal fired power stations with renewable energy by 2030
- Sustainable Super: campaigning for default superannuation funds in the health sector to divest from fossil fuel companies on health grounds
We are an affiliate group of Friends of the Earth Australia. Our website is www.healthyfutures.net.au; FB page: https://www.facebook.com/HealthyFuturesAU; Twitter: http://twitter.com/healthyfuturez
You will work with healthcare workers and other community members to advocate to the NSW Government and EPA NSW to reduce toxic pollution from coal fired power stations. This will build on previous community organising and advocacy work that Healthy Futures has conducted in the Hunter region since March 2020. Your duties will include developing and executing campaign strategy, building relationships with and organising healthcare workers and other community members in the Hunter, and liaising with journalists and leaders in other organisations.
Desirable experience and qualities:
- Previous experience organising volunteers to campaign for a policy outcome
- Passion for campaigning for environmental and social justice
- Residence in or near the Hunter region of NSW
- Location: Ideally somewhere in or near the Hunter region of New South Wales
- Hours: 0.2 - 0.6 FTE depending on candidate skills and preference (every 8 hrs of paid time includes a 1 hour paid break)
- Salary: $35.50/hour (i.e. $73,840 per annum pro rata) + superannuation and entitlements
- Contract Length: 24 weeks including 2 weeks of annual leave
- Applications open: now
- Interviews: from now until 20 May 2021 inclusive
- Start Date: 24 May 2021
- End Date: 7 Nov 2021 (with potential for further employment pending further funding)
OPPORTUNITIES FOR RE-EMPLOYMENT:
We currently have funding for this position for 24 weeks. We hope to continue the position beyond this period depending on further funding.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com using the subject line: Healthy Futures Hunter Region Campaigner enquiry via EthicalJobs or call Dr Harry Jennens on 0417 418 225.