With a rising focus for fixed income investors to play a role in accelerating energy transition, the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) sees an opportunity to support and influence the global fixed income market and policymakers. This position is for a remote work-based role and candidates may be located anywhere in the Australia or Asia Pacific region.
IEEFA is a rapidly-growing NGO/nonprofit think tank that conducts independent public interest research and analysis on financial and economic issues related to energy markets, trends and policies. Headquartered in the United States, IEEFA has teams of analysts and communications personnel located across the globe, with a significant portion of our staff in the greater Asia Pacific region. The Research Analyst will work with our dynamic, Fixed Income team based in Australia, Asia and South Asia. You must possess a commitment to IEEFA’s mission to accelerate the transition to a diverse, sustainable, and profitable energy economy.
IEEFA produces a significant volume of original written research, as well as ongoing analysis and reports on issues affecting energy industries. Our major research reports, daily commentaries, press coverage and other resources can be found on our public domain website: www.ieefa.org.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Taking primary responsibility for research and analysis of assigned projects as well as supporting more significant and complex projects.
- Scope of work may include:
- In-depth market research, analysis, interpretation and collation of data.
- Drafting, formatting, and proofing reports, submissions, and press releases.
- Creating and updating PowerPoint presentations for public, media, and industry briefings.
- Participating in internal and external meetings, which may include preparing papers or presenting your views and recommendations.
- Horizon scanning for energy and finance news to understand the global policy context and industry developments.
- Collaborating and establishing trust with stakeholders.
- Building industry, government, regulator, and finance contacts to better understand different perspectives to better inform your analysis, and to help steer industry thinking in return towards the best public interest outcome.
- Providing insights to the media and respond to requests for views so as to assist in building an informed public media narrative to validate and/or challenge the private industry and government perspectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of five years’ relevant experience in fixed income markets, finance and/or consulting, and specifically in Asian emerging markets.
- Familiarity with fixed income portfolio management or fund raising, which may include having the experience in making investment decisions/recommendations or the bond issuance process, will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of and/or experience in the energy/utilities sector will be an advantage.
- Experience in data research, analysis and writing/presenting research.
- Competence in presenting insights and data in a convincing way.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and with good political judgment both orally and in writing.
- You are keen to bring your skills and experience to a small and dynamic team to make a difference for the public interest globally, both in terms of a least-disruptive transition to new energy technology and in addressing the implications of climate science.
- You are a strong team player with a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- You are very self-motivated and organised, and able to work independently, multi-task, manage flexible working hours and set priorities that meet deadlines with limited direction while working remotely.
- You have strong analytical skills and attention to detail, and a keen interest in keeping abreast of financial market developments, political and economic affairs.
- You have excellent oral and writing skills in English demonstrated through reports, commentaries/blog, interviews or other media formats such as podcast. Familiarity with one or more Asian language will be an advantage.
- You have a high degree of technological proficiency and demonstrated ability to learn new software and applications. Familiarity with Bloomberg and/or Refinitiv will be an advantage.
- You are proactive and not afraid to ask questions.
- You have a commitment to IEEFA’s mission.
Term and Renumeration: Full time 12 month contract with the option of extension by mutual agreement; Renumeration based on experience.
Travel: Some travel may be required (when it becomes possible).
Please be sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.
We encourage you to apply immediately and will be closing applications by 20 October 2021.