Kowanyama is located on the west coast of Cape York Peninsula and means “place of many waters” in the Yir Yoront language. The community includes the Kokoberra, Yir Yoront (or Kokomenjen) and Kunjen clans, who each have language and other cultural differences.
Kowanyama Aboriginal Shire consists of beautiful and unique wetlands and delta mangroves in the north, extending to forest country of the central peninsula.
Kowanyama Sport and Recreation Association Inc operates as part of the Kowanyama Aboriginal Shire Council and its aim is to promote, foster, support & encourage participation in Sport & Recreational activities in the community and other regions. It is responsible for the management and running of the “canteen".
about the role
Reporting the Management Committee, the Manager of the Kowanyama Canteen will be responsible for the day to day operations of the Canteen including but not limited to:
- Managing the provisions of alcohol service delivery of the Canteen – ordering and receiving stock, pricing, provisions of bar services, restocking etc.
- Managing bar services to members and guests in accordance with the Responsible Service of Alcohol Standards.
- Managing the bar services to members and guests in accordance with the Qld Liquor Act 1992 and Qld Liquor Regulation 2002.
- Managing members and guests behaviours in accordance with the Rules of the Kowanyama Sport and Recreation Association Inc and the Qld Liquor Act 1992 and Qld Liquor Regulation 2002, or any other Act or Regulation to the same and compliant operation of the Canteen.
- Managing members and guests in accordance with the provisions of any Liquor permits issued by the Qld Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation.
- Obtaining and managing staff as required for service delivery.
- Providing mentoring and supervision of employees including regular inductions.
- Ensuring the premises meet all legislative requirements including:
- Hygiene; and
- Workplace health and safety.
- Attending to all administrative functions including preparation and maintenance of employee contracts and associated legislative requirements, perusal and approval of employee timesheets for onforwarding to the Paymaster, attending to timely banking etc.
- Performing any other duties as required by the Employer.
This position represents an incredible opportunity to contribute to the local community and make a real difference.
In return for your commitment and hard work, you'll receive an attractive remuneration negotiable based on skills and experience, plus a range of benefits including:
- 10% superannuation.
- Standard working hours of 76 hours per fortnight – currently the Canteen is open Wednesday to Saturday – plus any reasonable additional hours that are necessary to fulfil your duties or as otherwise required by us.
- 5 weeks of annual leave along with the statutory requirements for public holidays, personal/carers leave, compassionate leave, parental leave, community service leave and long service leave.
- One return airfare to and from Kowanyama for your family every 12 months of service.
- Relocation assistance and other package benefits may be negotiated.
If you're looking for a rewarding new challenge through which you can make a positive impact - Apply Now.
A position description is attached.