- Convenient Sydney Location
- Flexible Working Options
- Role is available Part Time – 60.8 hrs a fortnight Fixed Term
- Work to improve the health and wellbeing of LGBTIQ people and communities at a national level
- Salary – SCHADS Level 4 plus superannuation plus salary packaging
LGBTIQ+ Health Australia (LHA) is the national peak health organisation in Australia for organisations and individuals that provide health-related programs, services and research focused on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex people and other sexuality, gender, and bodily diverse people and communities.
LHA works with legislators, policymakers and service providers to help them understand and address the needs of LGBTIQ+ people and communities. We support LHA members to have a stronger policy voice and partner with researchers across the country on issues of LGBTIQ+ health and wellbeing.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Would you like to help strengthen national action on the health and wellbeing needs of LGBTIQ+ people and communities, with a focus on the needs of LGBTI older people? The Policy and Research Officer is part of a small team that helps LHA develop high quality and timely policy papers, submissions, research, events and resources on issues impacting on the health and wellbeing of LGBTIQ+ people, their families and communities.
A key focus of this role is ageing and aged care, in collaboration with LHA’s Silver Rainbow program. The successful candidate will work with legislators, policy makers, member organisations, researchers and service providers to help improve understanding and action on LGBTIQ+ Health and wellbeing.
Priorities include secondary research to support policy and advocacy, responding to external inquiries, engagement with relevant government and non-government bodies, supporting education and advocacy through effective coordination of events and networking. The role works across LHA teams as well as with older LGBTI people, LHA partners, stakeholders and members.
- Tertiary qualifications in relation to health, education, social science or other relevant fields, with priority for qualifications in ageing and aged care and/or LGBTIQ+ health and wellbeing.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the health, wellbeing and human rights of LGBTIQ+ people and communities, including policy issues and the social determinants of health.
- Experience in research and policy consultation, analysis and development, especially through co-design and in conjunction with community members.
- Experience working within the ageing and aged care sector.
- Experience in planning and implementing strategies and campaigns to bring about change.
- Experience working in environments where a high degree of judgement, confidentiality and sensitivity is required.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel) and social media.
APTITUDE & INTERPERSONAL SKILLS
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills for achieving results while maintaining important relationships and for representing the organisation.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent administrative, organisational and prioritisation skills to work with a diverse workload in a timely way.
- Capacity to work productively and collaboratively in a team with LHA, its member organisations and mainstream health and wellbeing organisations
- Ability to work collaboratively to resolve complex issues, including with stakeholders who may hold differing views and conflicting interests.
- Demonstrated skills in working effectively and collaboratively in a team.
- Experience of working effectively and collaboratively in a small team environment, with minimal supervision.
- Excellent judgement to manage and advise on sensitive issues that may involve reputational risk.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation and ability to work autonomously and as part of a team.
- Proven ability to build professional rapport through phone, email and face-to-face communications.
- Proactive problem-solver and self-starter who shows initiative.
- If you have any access requirements or need to submit your application in alternative format, please contact us to discuss.
- You can apply verbally over the phone or through a face-to-face meeting if you cannot submit a written application.
- You will need to tell us about your previous work experience, your suitability for this role and your answers to the target questions.
A position description is attached.