- Salary: $85,000 p.a. starting salary + super
- Term: Full time to December 2022 with a view to renewal dependent on performance. Applicants wishing to work 4 days per week on a salary adjusted accordingly (i.e. $68,000 p.a. + super) will be considered.
- Position reports to: Australian Campaigns Coordinator
- Our main office is in Melbourne but the potential for this role to be conducted remotely means we invite applicants from around Australia
ABOUT THE ROLE
This role has been created to strengthen our team of Australia-based campaigners working to prevent the expansion of the fossil fuel industry and shift finance away from activities and companies that pose the biggest threats to the environment and climate. As a campaigner, you’ll need to be a researcher, strategist, community organiser, spokesperson, diplomat, prosecutor, logistician and marketer all in one.
A campaigner is someone who does what is needed to deliver real, measurable change in the world and if that sounds like you, keep reading.
ABOUT MARKET FORCES
We are a nine-year-old organisation that exists to shift finance away from activities that damage the environment, and towards those that protect and enhance it. We focus on the role that banks, superannuation funds and other investors, insurance companies and governments play in financing environmentally risky and damaging activities. We strongly focus on climate change and the essential energy revolution the world needs to undertake if we are to secure a stable long-term climate. Our team delivers and supports campaigns on the most egregious examples of fossil fuel polluters, extending that support to partners in Asia and beyond, wherever we can make the best interventions to shift finance away from dirty fossil fuels.
You are a focused, dedicated individual who wants nothing more than to deliver meaningful, lasting changes to benefit the environment. You are a great person to be around, whether it’s as a direct colleague, leader of a movement, or partner in a coalition. You’re able to balance a deep determination for getting results with a calmness resilient to rapidly changing circumstances, pressure and at times uncertainty.
Most of all, you want to solve the climate crisis and can prove you know how to win campaigns.
- At least 2 years’ experience with an advocacy organisation.
- Deeply held passion for protecting the environment and solving the climate crisis.
- Demonstrated knowledge of, or experience in, campaign design and execution.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- High degree of empathy and ability to appreciate others' perspectives.
- High level of personal organisation and time management.
- Demonstrated capacity to work autonomously on a range of varied tasks and projects, and take the initiative to get the job done.
- Ability to handle and process information quickly.
- Ability to analyse politically complex situations and develop strategy in an uncertain, fast-paced campaign environment.
- Collaborative approach to campaigning.
- Able to motivate activists and volunteers.
- Knowledge of climate change and energy issues and/or the workings of financial institutions preferred.
SUMMARY OF KEY TASKS AND DUTIES
- Develop and deliver strategies and tactics that enable the achievement of agreed objectives.
- Publicly represent Market Forces as required.
- Writing and production of Market Forces communications materials including social media.
- Design and organise public activities and events to bring people power to bear on financial institutions and companies as part of Market Forces campaigns.
- Outreach and networking with community groups and institutions to strengthen and support Market Forces’ campaigns.
- Recruit and manage volunteers as required.
- Engage and motivate Market Forces' supporter base to maximise the number of people taking action as part of our campaigns.
how to apply
To submit your application click Apply Now.
Candidates will be assessed on an as-received basis.