The Bower is an environmental organisation seeking to reduce landfill and is now seeking an inspiring and strategic leader to deliver best practice operations with the circular economy to reduce waste through repair, reuse, resale, education and awareness.
This is the Senior Leadership role and reports directly to the Board. The role is responsible for maintaining and developing new partnership initiatives to achieve the Bower’s purpose, achieve its growth potential and reach new levels of operational excellence.
Leading a committed, talented and passionate team of staff and volunteers this role will drive purpose-aligned community, business, social and environmental outcomes.
The Bower is an award-winning environmental charity and a champion of reuse and repair. We are a purpose-driven not-for-profit organisation committed to reducing landfill. Our range of services, programs and goals are all based on the ethos of reuse and repair:
- Environment: to reduce the amount of waste entering landfill by reclaiming household items for repair, reuse and resale
- Creativity: to encourage reuse via repair and up-cycle workshops
- Community: to provide affordable goods to low-income earners and other disadvantaged groups and to generate local employment
- Build a positive and engaged team of managers, employees and volunteers
- Lead administration, communications, finance, retail, waste management functions
- Lead the diversification of revenue streams
- Implement initiatives that encourage reuse via repair, educate and build a community of advocates for the circular economy
- Partner with Councils to expand Collection and Rehoming Services and education programs
- Drive fundraising and advocacy campaigns that raise awareness and support for the Bower and its purpose
- Implement customised waste avoidance services
- Provide transparent and timely reporting to stakeholders including the Board, members, staff, funding bodies, partners and the community
- Implement policies and proposals that drive compliance and creativity
- Oversee projects across organisation
- Identify, negotiate and manage all contracts and agreements related to ongoing business requirements
Ideal Qualifications and Achievements
- Leadership achievements
- Qualifications in business, management or environmental sustainability
- Financial and budget management achievements
- Negotiation, influencing, relationship-building and interpersonal skills
- Achievements in building positive relationships with funding bodies and sponsors including local councils, government agencies, foundations and the private sector.
- Sales, marketing, public relations, social media and fundraising success
- Broad networks in the corporate and not-for-profit sectors
- Profile building and advocacy achievements
- Experience in strategic program development, management and evaluation
- High-level communication skills
- An understanding of developments in the circular economy and not for profit space (including social entrepreneurship)
Great team, great purpose, great salary, great opportunity
Enquiries welcome re role, remuneration and responsibilities – please call Ron Palmer anytime including evenings and weekends on 0420 791 280.
Please do not click Apply now, simply email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: General Manager, Environmental and Social Outcomes Focus - The Bower enquiry via EthicalJobs.