Would you like to work for one of the largest and oldest Indigenous organisations in Australia which provides services to around 50,000 Aboriginal people in the Northern Territory?
About the NLC
We are responsible for assisting Aboriginal people in the Top End of the Northern Territory to acquire and manage their lands and seas. Our most important responsibility is to consult with traditional owners and other Aboriginal people to enable them to make informed decisions about all activities affecting their country. Our vision is to ensure that Aboriginal people benefit socially, culturally and economically from the secure possession of their land, waters and seas.
About the Role
This position will work closely with traditional owners (TOs) and community groups across the Northern Land Council’s (NLC) jurisdiction to ensure the accurate collection and communication of royalty distribution instructions for payment in accordance with current NLC policies and procedures, relevant legislation and specified timeframes. This is a newly created position forming part of a new Benefits Distribution team. The main responsibilities include:
- Conduct and facilitate consultations with TOs and community groups regarding income received from their land, in order to learn how to distribute this income in accordance with NLC policy and procedures.
- Prepare and maintain accurate records such as payment instruction file notes, meeting attendance lists and reports, briefings and general correspondence for submission to relevant internal stakeholders in accordance with NLC policy and procedures.
- Liaise with the relevant anthropology branch staff to obtain up-to-date TOs and community group lists and report any changes as required.
- Develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with TOs, community groups and internal/external stakeholders to achieve payment disbursement objectives.
- Participate as a member of a multi-disciplinary team to carry out NLC functions pursuant to relevant NLC policies and procedures, legislative and regulatory requirements.
To thrive in this role, you will have:
- Significant demonstrated knowledge, understanding and respect of Indigenous Australian culture, customs and society and the ability to gain and maintain credibility with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, communities and organisations to ensure all work produced and undertaken is culturally safe and appropriate.
- Demonstrated high level interpersonal and verbal communication skills with an ability to effectively liaise, engage and coordinate across an organisation enabling the building of productive working relationships with work colleagues, constituents and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating meetings, mediations and dispute resolution with TOs to enable the successful facilitation of complex meetings on country.
- Proven conceptual, analytical and problem-solving skills to develop and implement innovative, practical solutions.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage work activities in a small team environment effectively, including managing work priorities and delegating tasks to ensure deadlines are being met and superior service is delivered by the team.
Remuneration and Benefits:
- 3 Year Fixed Contract
- Location: Nhulunbuy
- Salary: $73,342 to $84,253 per annum (pro rata for part time employees)
- Allowances, e.g. district allowance and airfare allowances
- FBT exempt salary packaging benefits pay
- 13% superannuation contribution
- 5 weeks annual leave (pro rata) & 17.5% annual leave loading
We strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply.
How to Apply:
A full Position Description may be obtained by clicking on this vacancy on our website https://jobs.nlc.org.au/ . We ask that all applications are received through our jobs website – this will ensure that you are submitting a full application for this position. Our website also provides information about our recruitment process. If you are having any problems submitting your application please contact us on 08 8920 5140.
John Hughes HugheJ@nlc.org.au, using the subject line: Project Officer - Royalty Facilitation & Distribution enquiry via EthicalJobs or call 0459957659
Please click here for a copy of the Position Description