New Wave is a self-advocacy organisation located in Gippsland, Victoria. New Wave is run by and for people with intellectual disability and acquired brain injury.
New Wave has 3 groups across Gippsland in Morwell, Leongatha and Wonthaggi. Each group runs a fortnightly self-advocacy group meeting and works to promote the rights of people with disability across the Gippsland region.
Auspiced by AMIDA, New Wave has current ILC funding to deliver a Connecting Through Technology project.
About the Connecting Through Technology Project
The project will support New Wave members to increase their:
- Motivation and confidence to take a more independent and individual approach to self-advocacy.
- Skills and capacity to speak up and protect their rights.
- Skills, capacity and confidence to use technology to communicate and share information.
- Motivation and confidence to act on issues important to them.
- Participation in and contribution to community, in particular participation in face-to-face and online peer support and self-advocacy.
- Communication between group members
- and increase the number of people involved in New Wave events, both face-to-face and online.
About the Position
The Morwell Project Worker will work from the Morwell office and other locations across Latrobe City. Some work will be done from home.
Working as part of a small team the role is a part-time, fixed-term 3 day a week position from July 2021 until February 2023.
Salary is according to the SCHADS award level 4 with generous salary packaging options available.
A police check is required for this position.
Responsibilities and duties
The New Wave Morwell Project Worker will:
- Support the Morwell Peer Workers to understand, plan and do their work
- Support regular face-to-face self-advocacy meetings
- Support the group to identify and achieve self-advocacy goals
- Support New Wave Morwell members digital communication and engagement
- Plan and support online self advocacy and peer support events
- Support group members to use their skills in self advocacy activities
- Work as a member of the project team
- Support the New Wave Morwell office including supporting volunteers, rostering and other activities
- Support New Wave members to use their knowledge and skills in ways that make them more independent.
- Work with service providers to help them understand self advocacy including the intersection of technology, self advocacy and human rights
- Support New Wave Morwell to be COVID safe
- Support New Wave Morwell office move
Key Selection Criteria
- A commitment to and an understanding of the human rights of people with a disability
- Awareness of or experience in disability advocacy including self-advocacy
- Experience working with and supporting people with intellectual disability or acquired brain injury
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of community inclusion, participatory decision making and co-design
- Experience working with a broad range of community organisations
- Experience working with groups
- Excellent communication skills including proven ability to use Plain and Easy English
- Competent using multiple technology platforms including Microsoft Office suite, online information storage systems, WordPress and demonstrated capacity to develop other digital skills
To find out more email firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Project Worker - New Wave - Morwell enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.