About the RSPCA
We are a leading animal welfare charity that works to end cruelty to all animals. Our purpose is to work with the community to achieve outstanding animal welfare through education, advocacy, animal care and protection. We achieve this by actively promoting their care and protection through awareness campaigns and education programs. Across Victoria we offer community services including the work undertaken by our Inspectorate, veterinary clinics and animal care teams.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an environment that is underpinned by our values: respect, consideration, clarity, accountability, expertise and collaboration.
About the role
We are currently seeking an enthusiastic and motivated Animal Attendant (Horse) to join our Animal Care team in Pearcedale on a casual basis. The Animal Attendant (Horse) is responsible for the specialised provision of day-to-day care of horses at RSPCA Victoria, contributing to the achievement of the best possible welfare outcome for every horse in our care.
This diverse and interesting role will challenge and reward you by providing you with the following responsibilities and duties:
- Contribute to the daily management of horses in a professional and caring manner, including daily cleaning of stables and paddocks to ensure a clean and safe environment for the horses;
- Observe, document and report health and behaviour concerns of horses in our care.
- Ensure stable maintenance supplies are stored in designated locations when not in use;
- Ensure horses and livestock animals are being fed as per relevant feeding protocols;
- Provide basic equine first aid/follow-up care as needed;
- Monitor overall health and wellness of the horses in our care, including providing assistance to Veterinarians as required;
- Attend vet and farrier appointments and handling related concerns as needed;
- Provide supervision, guidance and support to volunteers, ensuring that they following operational and safety procedures at all times.
- Provide a high level of service to customers in the adoption, surrender and reclaiming of horses to enhance the reputation of RSPCA Victoria within the local community;
- Ensure all necessary documentation relating to the management of horses are recorded accurately and in accordance with RSPCA Victoria procedures and timeframes, including medical and behavioural records;
- Contribute to a positive and inclusive work environment by effectively communicating and working collaboratively with peers across all departments, and consistently behaving in accordance with the RSPCA Victoria values and associated policies;
Skills and Experience
- Strong background knowledge in equine health, husbandry and wellness, including two years’ previous experience in horse care/stables within the Equestrian, Racing or other horse related industries;
- Good knowledge of horse anatomy, behaviour, safe handling and s basic disease recognition (such as colic, laminitis, etc);
- Ability to work in a fast paced and challenging work environment, whilst showing great care and compassion to the animals in our shelter;
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in a team environment and communicating effectively with customers and colleagues;
- The ability to work rotating rosters including weekends and public holidays;
- Practical skills in caring for horses, including:
- Picking up feet;
- Administering oral wormers;
- Identifying correct medications;
- Dressing wounds (First Aid);
- Loading onto crush;
- Interpretating vet notes and documenting observations;
- Creating feeding plans for emaciated/ ill horses based on body condition and health; and
- Crowding horses at feed time.
- Holds or is willing to complete a Certificate II in Animal Studies (or equivalent) will be highly regarded;
- Position also required a valid Victorian Driver’s License and current tetanus vaccination
- A police check will be required for successful candidates working at our Epping shelter
How to Apply
This is an incredible opportunity to join dedicated and passionate teams making a difference to animals in need. If you believe you can make a difference to the protection and welfare of all animals then please visit the advertisement for this position on our website at http://www.rspcavic.org to download the position description (top right-hand corner) and to apply online with your CV and supporting cover letter as soon as possible.
If you have any queries regarding this role, please contact Lynette via email@example.com, using the subject line: Animal Attendant - Horse enquiry via EthicalJobs.
Click Apply Online to submit your application.