- Do you want to join one of Victoria’s most recognised not-for-profit animal welfare organisation?
- An exciting opportunity to join our Corporate Communications team and support media and digital communications activities at RSPCA Victoria
- Permanent full-time opportunity available at our Burwood East site/Working from home
About RSPCA Victoria
RSPCA Victoria is a non-government, community-based, not-for-profit organisation whose vision is ‘ending cruelty to all animals’. We are Victoria’s best-known and most respected animal welfare organisation.
Our organisation’s purpose is to work with the community to achieve outstanding animal welfare through education, advocacy, and animal care and protection. RSPCA Victoria’s values - clarity and accountability, respect and consideration, and expertise and collaboration - set clear expectations for all our staff and volunteers.
About the Role
We are currently recruiting a Communications Officer to join our Corporate Communications team in a permanent full-time capacity. Reporting to the Senior Media Advisor, you will play an integral role in supporting media, digital communication activities and the broader communications team to enhance RSPCA Victoria’s reputation and ability to end cruelty to all animals.
This role will attract a salary of $69,645 - $88,217 inclusive of superannuation at 10%, based on the skills and experience of the successful candidate.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Senior Media Advisor, you will:
- Provide communications advice, services and support for activities and projects as directed by the Senior Media Advisor.
- Respond to media requests, including sometimes being “on call” as first point of contact for media
- Draft media releases, statements, background notes for spokespeople and compile information to support proactive and reactive media activities
- Contribute to the development and delivery of social marketing campaigns that reduce animal cruelty and neglect in Victoria.
- Develop communication plans and activities to promote the RSPCA Victoria brand and service offering.
- Coordinate and provide communication support for Prevention projects and activities, working closely with colleagues across Prevention.
- Build relationships and work proactively with colleagues in Education & learning, Animal Welfare Policy, Communications and Operations to provide communications expertise and support.
- Contribute to a positive and inclusive work environment by effectively communicating and working collaboratively with peers across all departments, and consistently behaving in accordance with the RSPCA Victoria values and associated policies.
What we are looking for from you
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations and/or related relevant field experience.
- Excellent writing skills – the ability to write quickly and confidently
- High level literacy, numeracy and problem-solving skills, including intermediate computer skills (including use of Microsoft Office Excel and PowerPoint).
- Ability to work in a fast paced and challenging work environment.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in a team environment.
- Previous experience in a similar role, including demonstrated experience supporting and helping to implement effective and innovative communication strategies and initiatives is desirable
- Knowledge of or experience developing social marketing campaigns is desirable.
- Media relations experience and knowledge of how the media works along with media contacts will be highly regarded
- Experience withdigital communication activities and agency experience will be highly regarded, but not essential.
What we can offer you
- Encouraged work-life balance and a broad range of leave entitlements, including annual leave, personal leave, additional leave (6 days per year pro-rata), purchased leave, paid parental leave, study leave and paid family and domestic violence leave.
- Access to a range of mental health and wellbeing supportive initiatives, including confidential counselling services, education programs, access our Parents and Carers platform that has a wealth of resources to support working parents and carers.
- Generous discount on products and services, including Hill’s pet food, Hush Puppies footwear and RSPCA Victoria retail and vet clinic products and services
- Salary packaging and novated lease arrangements on offer with leading provider, Maxxia.
- Access to a range of learning and development opportunities that will benefit and support you in your role.
How to apply
To learn more about our organisation and this job opportunity, please visit our website at www.rspcavic.org and download the Position Description attached to this advertisement for more details. Alternatively, please contact our Senior Media Advisor, Camilla Speirs on email@example.com using the subject line: Communications Officer enquiry via EthicalJobs.
If this role is of interest to you, submit your application with your cover letter and resume, addressing how you meet the selection criteria.
RSPCA Victoria is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and we strongly encourage people from all cultural backgrounds to apply, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Applicants are welcome to access RSPCA Victoria’s Diversity & Inclusion Policy here.