About RSPCA Victoria
RSPCA Victoria is a non-government, community-based, not-for-profit organisation whose vision is ‘ending cruelty to all animals’. We are Victoria’s best-known and most respected animal welfare organisation.
Our organisation’s purpose is to work with the community to achieve outstanding animal welfare through education, advocacy, and animal care and protection. RSPCA Victoria’s values - clarity and accountability, respect and consideration, and expertise and collaboration - set clear expectations for all our staff and volunteers.
About the Role
We are currently recruiting a Community Liaison Officer to join our Education and Community Outreach Team in a fixed-term full-time capacity for 12 months. Reporting to the Program and Evaluation Manager, you will be responsible for partnering with various internal and external stakeholders to engage and educate people from the Mildura region on good animal welfare principles and practices to reduce the rates of animal cruelty and neglect reported in the local area.
This role will attract a salary of $69,645 p.a (inclusive of superannuation at 9.5%).
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Program and Evaluation Manager, you will:
- Provide on the ground support to the local community and stakeholders to improve animal welfare practices and reduce the rate of animal cruelty and neglect reported within the region.
- Engage and educate the local community and key stakeholders on good animal welfare practices, including speaking at local events to inspire interest and awareness through discussion about animal welfare.
- Establish and maintain partnership relationships with local veterinary clinics and human welfare organisations in the development and implementation of a low cost voucher system and ‘free vaccination days’ for the public to remove financial barriers involved with providing sound veterinary care for their pets.
- Be the “face” of the Mildura Animal Protection program; positively representing and bringing awareness to RSPCA Victoria.
- Effectively communicate and engage with internal and external stakeholders in order to connect pet owners with relevant services or products to ensure better animal welfare practices and outcomes in the community.
- Facilitate pet transportation and coordination of animals and their owners to local welfare related services, or in the facilitation of crisis or emergency accommodation. This may include travelling to other RSPCA locations from time to time.
- Partner with government, community groups, welfare services and vet clinics to identify opportunities to improve animal welfare facilities services and practices within the Mildura region
- Identify and drive opportunities for improvement in the design, delivery, implementation and evaluation of local initiatives to improve animal welfare practices in the local area.
- Maintain detailed records and perform data entry in a timely manner. Perform other administrative tasks including, scheduling veterinary or other appointments for clients, when required.
- Maintain supply of vouchers, flea and worming treatment and emergency food relief for direct and/or indirect distribution of products (e.g. pet food banks, vet clinics etc.).
- Facilitate animal surrenders, when required.
- Participate in school and community education programs.
- Assist in complex animal management and/or welfare cases (e.g. hoarding, breeding) when requested by an RSPCA Inspector or Mildura City Council Civic Compliance Team member.
- Contribute to a positive and inclusive work environment by effectively communicating and working collaboratively with peers across all departments, and consistently behaving in accordance with the RSPCA Victoria values and associated policies.
What we are looking for from you
- Currently resides in the Mildura Rural City Council region or willing to relocate.
- Experience in the development and delivery of community-based programs in partnership with key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain collaborative working relationships internally and externally to the organisation.
- Ability to work autonomously, but also collaboratively with the rest of the team
- High level literacy, numeracy and problem-solving skills, including intermediate computer skills (including use of Microsoft Office Excel and PowerPoint).
- Ability to work in a fast paced and challenging work environment.
- Working With Children Check (current or willing to obtain)
- Understanding of and experience in engaging with local government processes will be highly regarded, but not essential
- Previous experience with Human Welfare Services will be highly regarded, but not essential
- Animal handling experience is desirable.
- This position also requires a valid Victorian Driver’s License
What we can offer you
- Encouraged work-life balance and a broad range of leave entitlements, including annual leave, personal leave, additional leave (6 days per year pro-rata), purchased leave, paid parental leave, study leave and paid family and domestic violence leave.
- Access to a range of mental health and wellbeing supportive initiatives, including confidential counselling services, education programs and access to a wealth of resources.
- Generous discount on products and services, including Hill’s pet food, Hush Puppies footwear and RSPCA Victoria retail and vet clinic products and services
- Salary packaging and novated lease arrangements on offer with leading provider, Maxxia.
- Access to a range of learning and development opportunities that will benefit and support you in your role.
How to Apply
To learn more about our organisation and this job opportunity, please visit our website at www.rspcavic.org and download the Position Description attached to this advertisement for more details. Alternatively, please contact our Program and Evaluation Manager, Lauren Roberts on email@example.com using the subject line: Community Liaison Officer - Mildura enquiry via EthicalJobs.
If this role is of interest to you, submit your application with your cover letter and resume, addressing how you meet the selection criteria.
RSPCA Victoria is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and we strongly encourage people from all cultural backgrounds to apply, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Applicants are welcome to access RSPCA Victoria’s Diversity & Inclusion Policy here.