At TerraCycle, our mission is to Eliminate the idea of Waste®. As a global innovator in the circular economy, our specialities lie in recycling hard-to-recycle materials. Our programs collect and recycle almost any waste stream such as babies nappies, cigarette butts, cosmetics, wetsuits etc which we then turn waste into new products, like the world's first shampoo bottle made with ocean plastic!
As a social enterprise, we drive positive change by partnering with some of the world’s largest corporations to create collection and recycling solutions for hundreds of traditionally non-recyclable waste streams. This has seen us engage over 80 million consumers, to raise $44 million for charities and recycle over 1 million pounds of waste. In 2019, TerraCycle was Fortune Magazines “Top 10 Companies to change the world”.
More recently, we launched the zero-waste retail platform “Loop”, a global circular shopping system that enables brands, retailers and consumers to transition from single-use disposable materials to reusable, durable packaging. Loop will be launched in Australia in partnership with Woolworths in Q4 2021/Q1 2022.
About the Team
You will share TerraCycle’s mission to make waste a thing of the past. You’ll be joining a thriving, purpose-driven team in our waste-free, Sydney office. You’ll be an advocate and agent for change, who can work autonomously, while also collaborating with a tight-knit team of eco-warriors.
About the role
TerraCycle is looking to hire a Head of Business Development and Retail with experience in leadership, retail marketing and proven ability to build and lead successful sales teams.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Manage and coach direct reports inspiring performance and results
- Understand company commercial strategies and operational processes, and participate to their improvements
- Attract, develop, and retain top talent to ensure that people with the right skills and motivations are in the right place at the right time to meet business needs.
- Build, maintain, and effectively manage a healthy sales and shopper programs pipeline and hit/exceed sales targets
- Research and evaluate potential new partners in the CPG and Retail world
- Work with new partners on pricing & finalisation of contracts
- Understand the competitive landscape and market trends
- Develop meaningful insight-driven shopper platforms with clear reason why to purchase and recycle that drive incremental profitable sales with positive ROI (Return On Investment) and address brand partners’ business objectives and sustainability strategy at their prioritised retailers.
- Work closely with brand partners to report internally and externally the post-performance of shopper programs to scale year-after-year.
- Recommend sales and shopper growth strategies based on market analysis, and research and insights
- Work with our ANZ General Manager to monitor new threats and business opportunities by networking, attending conferences, reading researches etc.
- Travel occasionally interstate and occasionally to New Zealand and the US
- 10+ year experience in agency, CPG, or retail
- 7+ years experience in senior sales management position
- Strong commercial and competitive drive
- Excellent business acumen and analytical skills with the ability to execute sales strategy in a fast-growing company
- Substantial experience working in the CPG Industry and with Retailers in ANZ.
- Outstanding skills to communicate, present and influence all levels of brands and retailers’ organizations.
- Proven ability to drive shopper programs development and sales process from planning to closing.
- Ability to work in an extremely fast-paced environment managing ambiguities.
- BA/BS required; advance degree preferred.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically PowerPoint & Excel.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and can-do attitude.
- A creative mind with problem-solving skills.
- A demonstrated interest in sustainable/waste business would be beneficial.
Job description is not all inclusive. TerraCycle reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. TerraCycle is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.