With 54,000 registered charities in Australia, there are countless stories that deserve to be told that don’t always make mainstream news. The Advocate exists for not-for-profits and charities so they can tell their story effortlessly.
- Provide an ongoing commitment to write and publish three stories per week (write two original stories and the third story can be a story re-written from a media release)
- Pitches and stories will be approved by the Deputy Editor
- Virtual, home-based position
- Update The Advocate's website weekly with three stories from not-for-profits and charities (skills in Wordpress preferable) following our Style Guide
- Post stories on our social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn) following our Style Guide
- Develop strong online relationships with not-for-profits and charities
- Assist with the development and implementation of The Advocate’s bi-monthly digital edition (skills in InDesign preferable)
- Social Media
- InDesign (preferable)
- Some knowledge in marketing
- Good content writing and editing skills
- Have a good nose for news and be able to understand what’s important for the not-for-profit and charity community in Australia
- Own computer and internet connection
- Wordpress training can be provided but simple knowledge in Wordpress would be appreciated
- A foot in the door
- You’ll have your own journalist profile on our website (includes an email address), which will be a great way to showcase your work for The Advocate to future prospective employers
- Real-world experience. If you’re still studying journalism at university, applying what you have already learnt in the real world is the best way to develop and hone your skills
- A professional job reference for future employers
The Journalist can do all the role from their own home.
Content Meetings will be held online every fortnight, conducted by the Deputy Editor, with the Editor to sit in on the content planning of the digital edition.