Towards Better is looking to welcome new Community Development Consultants to our team!
This is a fantastic opportunity to truly do meaningful work that assists people with disabilities to have good lives. The role is extremely active, engaging, and valuable, supporting individuals with a disability to acquire more valued social roles, expand their social networks and develop personally along the way. You will be part of a team that is supportive, inclusive, and values learning together and a role that requires creativity, autonomy, empathy, patience, and commitment to a “Good Life”.
About Towards Better:
We are a boutique consulting organisation based in Townsville, QLD and founded in March 2020. Our team specialises in “Good Life Strategies” that lead to creating better communities through the inclusion of people with disabilities.
Our Values: Relationships. Inclusion. Simplicity. Individuality. Learning
Our Mission: To discover, connect, and mobilise the assets, skills, and passions of individuals, communities, and businesses.
Our Vision: A world where all individuals are involved in ordinary community life and communities “step forward” naturally to welcome their valued gifts, talents, and contributions.
Our Higher Purpose: We bring out the best in individuals with disabilities and communities.
As a Community Development Consultant, your role will include:
- Facilitating mentoring (consulting) sessions with each individual on a weekly basis
- Planning and coordinating new values roles for each mentee in non-segregated “every day” community life.
- Consulting with key stakeholders including family, supporters, friends, and community and assisting in growing the networks of individuals, especially of unpaid relationships.
- The development of inclusive, welcoming communities, so that all people can meaningfully connect with, and be valued within their local community.
- The teaching and development of the person/family to lead their supports and reduce reliance on paid supports, with a particular focus on managing one’s resources for better lives.
- Developing communities to welcome and embrace the contributions of people with a disability.
- Building a strong shared vision with each individual and important people in their life of a meaningful, valued, and inclusive life including:
- Home & Neighbourhood Roles (Tenant, Homeowner, Good neighbour, Family member, homemaker, etc)
- Relationship Network & Community Roles (Club Member, Athlete, Student, Team member, active citizen, committee member, etc)
- Work Roles (Employee, Business Owner, Microenterprise Operator, Entrepreneur)
- Times where the consultant role is likely similar to a “Connector”, “Matchmaker”, “Resource guide”, “Coach” or “Mentor”.
Our ideal consultants:
- Are “glass half full thinkers” which means they are keen in every situation to discover the gifts, talents, and potential contributions of people and communities.
- Value Relationships, Inclusion, Simplicity, Individuality, and Learning
- Have a healthy involvement in their community
- Are not afraid of communicating with new people or developing ongoing, long-lasting relationships.
- Possess a strong desire to build individual competencies and opportunities for valued social roles.
- Believe in the Natural Authority of Families and an interest in working in ways that enable ‘Right Relationship’ where ownership of outcomes is shared, and people have ‘power with’ relationships versus ‘power over’.
- Believe that everyone is competent and capable of learning and growing
- Believe that everyone has gifts, talents and potential contributions waiting to be uncovered and utilised. And the consultants themselves each bring their own diverse, gifts, talents, and contributions.
- Have a commitment to people with disabilities having meaningful and valued lives and belief that communities are better when everyone is included.
- Are energetic, interested in other people, empathetic, and have a lively sense of humour
- Have experiencing using Microsoft Office and Email.
- Can be accountable to goals, objectives, timelines, and outcomes.
- Flexibility to work weekday daytime, weekday evening and weekend hours (there are no ‘set schedules’)
- Bring an understanding of or willingness to learn about Social Role Valorisation, Asset Based Community Development, The National Disability Insurance Scheme, Customised Employment, and Individualised Living Arrangements
* Potential Consultants should also have a Blue/Yellow Card, First Aid/CPR Certificates, ABN, required insurances or ability to obtain. Drivers Licence would also be beneficial due to the nature of our work (but not essential). Own mobile phone is essential and own a computer is beneficial, but not essential. *
What we offer:
- Flexible working arrangements and a team culture that reflects this. Hours are not set but based on goals/outcomes
- Competitive Compensation (to be negotiated with Consultant-Contractors)
- Commitment to ongoing development and learning
- Outcome focused work that is deeply satisfying
- A wealth of experiences, tools of the trade, methods that we can share with you if you would like
- An Inclusive team culture where we don’t always know all the answers, and that is okay, we all learn together
- A “Profit for Purpose” company that exists to make a social impact
- An openness and acceptance for individuals with gaps in employment, those who require accommodations, or any other factors that might otherwise discourage someone from applying.
- Multiple positions. We believe that everyone contributes something and are looking to add multiple consultants to the team who each contribute something unique.
The Right Fit
Discover our website www.towardsbetter.com.au for more info about us
If you are interested in applying for the role, please click Apply Now.
A position description is attached.