United Workers’ Union are seeking to fill a Lead Organiser position. This is a full-time role and is based in Victoria.
The position has responsibility for leading the Political Organising Team nationally under the Coordinator and Director.
ABOUT UNITED WORKERS’ UNION
United Workers’ Union is a powerful member-led union whose sole purpose is to serve the collective interests of members in workplaces and communities by winning significant and long-lasting gains.
The Union is driving change by growing union membership, developing leadership amongst our members, encouraging active member participation in the union, building and enforcing standards in our sectors, and campaigning in the community and politics.
As a union with a proudly diverse membership, we are committed to equity and inclusion; and continuing to build a union that is truly representative of the workers we cover. We encourage applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, LGBTQIA+ people and women.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Political Lead Organiser will lead a dedicated team of organisers nationally working to build political membership to the union and ALP. They will be a part of a national Political Leadership team, working to support national campaigns at a state level.
This role reports to the Political Coordinators and Director.
- Direct the strategic campaigns and organising plans that align with the union’s objects and broader goals;
- Implement and promote practices, policies, strategies and systems that contribute to the unions goals including diversity, inclusive workplaces and take steps to address barriers to participation or to address discrimination;
- Coordinate and manage the work of the national team of political organisers, including the delivery of plans in collaborative with union portfolios.
- Assess and support the development of Organisers.
- Use Organising (or equivalent) systems and tools to retrieve and analyse data and provide advice on risks and to report against target outcomes and take steps to mitigate risks or improve outcomes.
- Develop capacity in the national union through the portfolio.
- Translate and contribute to best practice outcomes to increase knowledge across the whole union, in political organising and campaigning.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
A Political Lead Organiser demonstrates:
- A passion and drive to improve workers’ lives and achieving the goals of the Union.
- Ability to motivate and educate union members and potential members;
- Ability to participate in the unions political and social justice agenda;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience as an organiser preferred;
- Experience in political organising preferred but not essential;
- Experience in election campaigning preferred but not essential;
- Ability to work flexible arrangements;
- Leadership development, including motivating and education others
- Excellent communication, messaging and rapport building skills.
- Experience in leading a team.
- Experience in organising strategy development, planning, and reporting.
- Ability to communicate and advocate to all political parties.
- Ability and willingness to travel within Australia to assist with relevant Lead duties.
To perform this job, you will also be required to have or obtain and maintain:
- A valid driver’s licence; and
- Right of Entry Permits
An attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful applicant, which will include:
- Salary commensurate with demonstrated skills and experience;
- A motor vehicle or motor vehicle allowance;
- 16% superannuation
- 6 weeks annual leave plus 25% leave loading