- Position : Full Time, Ongoing
- Salary : $90,439 to $94,436, plus super (based on skills & experience)
- Location : Wodonga/ Wangaratta
Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) is the largest organisation of its kind in Australia, employing more than 600 employees and delivering more than 70 programs across Victoria. VACCA is an Aboriginal community-controlled organisation that supports and advocates for the Aboriginal community. Our strength lies with our people.
Our team is committed to the organisation's vision and values; advocates for our children and other vulnerable community members; and shows respect for, observance and compliance with Aboriginal cultural protocols, practice and ceremony. Our Aboriginality is what distinguishes us from mainstream services and what enables us to deliver the positive outcomes we achieve for our people.
About the role
This role is to:
- Provide independent consultation advice to Child Protection on the best ways of keeping children and young people safe. This advice will include the importance of strong connection to Aboriginal culture, community and family when making decisions in the best interest of the child.
- Manage the day to day operations of locally based ACSASS team including the direct supervision and support of staff
- Report to a Program Manager as well as contribute to a larger state-wide ACSASS team.
- Liaise and develop a number of external working relationships with Child Protection, Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal services.
You will have:
- Demonstrated understanding of, and commitment to, the values that underpin VACCA' vision and purpose and the capacity to take a leadership role in championing these internally and externally
- Demonstrated awareness and appreciation of Aboriginal societies and cultures, and commitment to continually build knowledge of such, along with a high level of awareness of the key issues which impact upon Aboriginal communities
- Issues related to Aboriginal child and family welfare and Child Protection Systems
- Leadership skills: Demonstrated experience in coaching and/or mentoring workers in complex casework and assessments relating to Aboriginal children, families and carers across the out of home care system
- Problem Solving: Implements organisational policies, procedures and systems to address incidents and problems and assists team members to develop culturally appropriate solutions
- Interpersonal skills: Models appropriate interpersonal skills, self-awareness, self-management, and community/ cultural awareness in communications, problem solving and conflict resolution
- Communication: Develops and communicates clear, culturally appropriate, respectful and consistent messages to staff clients and community members
- Empathy, Compassion, Resilience, Motivation, Advocacy and Professionalism
- A relevant welfare qualification
- Understanding of the Children, Youth and Families Act, 2005 (Vic.) & Department of Human Services (Protective Services) procedures and policies regarding case planning
What we can offer you!
- Professional support and training via in-house learning and development training modules
- Attractive salary packaging to increase your take home pay
- Great career development opportunities.
- Access to Employee support and wellbeing program(s)
- Opportunity to work and build connection with the Aboriginal Community and culture
We strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders people to apply.
Applications should include a cover letter addressing the key selection criteria and current resume.
We encourage applicants to view the Position Description prior to applying.
A position description is attached.
We are committed to Aboriginal self-determination and supporting strong, safe, thriving Aboriginal communities and aim to ensure every individual is treated with dignity, honouring all cultural backgrounds, abilities, ethnicities, sexual orientations, gender identities and spiritual beliefs.
VACCA is a child-safe organisation and is committed to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of children and young people with zero tolerance for child abuse. All successful applicants will be required to undertake a National Police Record Check and Working with Children Check prior to commencement of employment and periodically following commencement.
VACCA is an equal opportunity employer and has a smoke-free workplace policy.