The Victorian Ambulance Union Incorporated (VAU) has an exciting opportunity for a passionate and motivated individual to join our experienced legal team and develop their career as an Industrial Officer / Lawyer on a permanent full-time basis.
The VAU is a growing not-for-profit industrial association. It was only formed in 2019 and already represents over 5,000 members working across both the emergency and non-emergency ambulance patient transport industries. We are a dedicated industrial association for Victorian ambulance industry workers, providing industrial and legal advice to our members in all matters relating to their employment and meeting regularly with Government to lobby them on issues affecting the Ambulance Industry in Victoria.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
As an Industrial Officer/Lawyer you will report to the Senior Lawyer & Industrial Officer and work within a team of experienced Industrial Officers supporting our members.
Key duties / functions required to be undertaken include:
- Providing industrial and employment advice and assistance to members of the VAU
- Preparation of complex matters for litigation in court and tribunal hearings, including underpayment claims
- Advocacy on behalf of members in the Fair Work Commission, Court and Other Tribunals
- Preparing legal submissions for relevant government enquiries in relation to the Ambulance Industry
- Working with industry organisers / VAU secondees, including delegating work to and receiving work from industry organisers
- Representing the VAU in enterprise bargaining as occasion arises
Industrial Officers will be expected to be available for weekend and evening work from time to time.
Key Qualifying Criteria
The successful applicant will have:
- Juris Doctor or equivalent law degree
- Minimum 2-3 years post-admission experience working specifically in industrial and employment law, with current Victorian practising certificate
- Litigation and advocacy experience
- Proven ability to work as part of a team
- The capacity to be self-motivated and pursue complex matters, seeking guidance and assistance as required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and legal research skills
- Attention to detail, with the ability to review and assess lengthy and tedious documents
Remuneration package includes:
- Expected total annual salary package (dependent on experience) between $104,000 - $120,000, inclusive of 12% superannuation and car allowance (or use of employer-owned work vehicle)
- Six (6) weeks of annual leave plus 25% annual leave loading
- 12 rostered days off per year
Previous applicants need not apply.