ABOUT WANTA ABORIGINAL CORPORATION:
Wanta Aboriginal Corporation works with schools in a number of remote Northern Territory communities to encourage indigenous children to attend school on a daily basis. Through a variety of measures we provide support for learning and on-going development so that the opportunity for education is maximised and lifetime poverty and disadvantage can be overcome.
This position is based in the Yuendumu School. Yuendumu is based 290 km North-West of Alice Springs, the school is a preschool to year 12 and has approx. 240 students on the roll.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The General Manager will oversee two programs currently operating in the Yuendumu. Programs include managing a Remote Sports Academy and overseeing the Remote Schools Attendance Strategy. Both programs operate in an outreach capacity.
Managing the Yuendumu Sports Academy:
The purpose of the Remote Sports Academy program is to support stronger engagement and wellbeing of Indigenous youth living in remote areas through the provision of sport, recreation, life skill development and cultural leadership opportunities.
The General Manager’s role would be to coordinate, supervise and manage a team of four Indigenous Community Engagement Officers who assist in facilitating the program. The role includes management of Yuendumu programs recruitment, financial administration, data collection, reporting and stakeholder engagement. The team is responsible for facilitating a range of weekly programs including:
- Sport programs, eg. AFL, basketball;
- Arts based programs, eg. Music, art, digital skills;
- Life skill programs, eg. cooking, employment pathways and driver education;
- Cultural and language programs, eg. Bush trips and on-country learning;
- Social enterprise development;
- School holiday engagement programs
- Trips for youth on cultural camps, to other communities, Alice Springs & Interstate
Running the Remote School Attendance Strategy:
The Remote School Attendance Strategy is a Federal Government initiative that aims to get children, from preschool to senior levels to school everyday. The National Indigenous Australians Agency (NIAA) provides funds to Wanta Aboriginal Corporation to deliver this program in Yuendumu.
The General Manager’s role would be to manage a team of six school attendance officers and two supervisors. The team will work with families, parents, and community organisations to ensure all children go to school every day. The General Managers responsibilities include:
- Coordinate and supervise the roles of both the School Attendance Officers and School Attendance Supervisors, including facilitating bus runs to pick up kids for school, talking with families about the importance of coming to school and collation of data related to student absences.
- Provide leadership and practical guidance to staff; monitor activities to ensure targets are met; proactively assess risk, plan and manage change on a daily basis.
- Establish and maintain a comprehensive network of stakeholder relationships across a broad range of government agencies, non-government organisations, clients and service providers.
- Approve time sheets for relevant Yuendumu Remote School Attendance Strategy Program employees as required.
- Assist with ‘on the ground’ recruitment and induction process for positions within the program.
- Provide and be responsible for weekly reporting regarding school attendance figures, and assist with any other reporting requirements as directed by the NIAA.
- Experience working with Indigenous youths and/or working in remote communities in a recreation related environment.
- Experience managing a small team.
- Demonstrated ability of program management, delivery, evaluation and reporting.
- Background in coaching/umpiring AFL and Basketball.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with stakeholders.
- Resilient outlook and ability to cope with stressful and sometimes confronting situations.
- A current NT driver’s licence, and a current bus licence or the ability to obtain this.
- A current OCHRE (working with children check), National Police check or the ability to obtain.
- Qualifications at a tertiary level and/or previous experience in a similar role.
- A strong understanding and respect of the Yuendumu Community and Region
SALARY PACKAGE INCLUDES:
- Full housing and amenities provided in Yuendumu
- Salary based on previous experience and qualifications
- 6 weeks annual leave per year
- Bonuses including airfares, regular use of company vehicle and some weekend accommodation in Alice Springs.
For more information please email email@example.com, using the subject line: General Manager - Yuendumu Sports Academy and Remote Schools Attendance Strategy enquiry via EthicalJobs.