About Wanta Aboriginal Corporation
Wanta Aboriginal Corporation works with schools in a number of remote Northern Territory communities to encourage indigenous children to attend school on a daily basis. Through a variety of measures; we provide support and pathways for learning and development so that the opportunity for education as well as future employment is maximised.
We currently have a Youth Management position available in Yuendumu (managing both the Sports Academy and RSAS Program).
Wanta Sports Academy
The purpose of the Remote Sports Academy program is to support stronger engagement and wellbeing of Indigenous youth living in remote areas through the provision of sport, recreation, life skill development and cultural leadership opportunities.
The General Manager’s role would be to coordinate, supervise and manage a team of Indigenous officers who assist in facilitating the program. The role includes management of the programs recruitment, financial administration, data collection, reporting and stakeholder engagement. The team is responsible for facilitating a range of weekly programs including:
- Sport programs, eg. AFL, basketball;
- Arts based programs, eg. Music, art, digital skills;
- Life skill programs, eg. cooking, employment pathways and driver education;
- Cultural and language programs, eg. Bush trips and on-country learning;
- Social enterprise development;
- School holiday engagement programs
- Trips for youth on cultural camps, to other communities, Alice Springs & Interstate
Wanta RSAS Program
The Remote School Attendance Strategy is a Federal Government initiative that aims to get children, from preschool to senior levels to school every day.
The General Manager’s role would be to manage a team of six school attendance officers and two supervisors. The team will work with families, parents, and community organisations to ensure all children go to school every day. The General Managers responsibilities include:
- Coordinate and supervise the roles of both the School Attendance Officers and School Attendance Supervisors, including facilitating bus runs to pick up kids for school, talking with families about the importance of coming to school and collation of data related to student absences.
- Provide leadership and practical guidance to staff; monitor activities to ensure targets are met; proactively assess risk, plan and manage change on a daily basis.
- Establish and maintain a comprehensive network of stakeholder relationships across a broad range of government agencies, non-government organisations, clients and service providers.
- Approve time sheets for relevant Remote School Attendance Strategy Program employees as required.
- Assist with ‘on the ground’ recruitment and induction process for positions within the program.
- Provide and be responsible for weekly reporting regarding school attendance figures, and assist with any other reporting requirements as directed by the NIAA.
Our Ideal candidate will have the following skills / qualifications:
- Experience working with Indigenous youths and/or working in remote communities.
- Experience managing a small team.
- Demonstrated ability of program management, delivery, evaluation and reporting.
- Background in coaching/umpiring sports.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with stakeholders.
- Resilient, outgoing outlook and ability to cope with stressful and sometimes confronting situations.
- A current NT driver’s licence, and a current bus licence or the ability to obtain this.
- A current OCHRE (working with children check), National Police check or the ability to obtain.
- You must be fully vaccinated (proof required).
Salary package (approx. $80k plus super depending on qualifications/experience) includes:
- Full housing and amenities.
- 6 weeks annual leave per year
- Mobile phone allowance
- Salary packaging benefits
- Bonuses including airfares, regular use of company vehicle and some weekend accommodation outside of the Community.
To apply for this role click Apply Now, or for any additional information, please contact the CEO Demian Coates via firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: General Manager - Yuendumu Sports Academy and Remote Schools Attendance Strategy enquiry via EthicalJobs.