- Location : Sydney (Penrith)
- Work type : Full-time
- Profession : Community Services, Management, Social & Support Work
- Sector : Homelessness & Affordable Housing
- Salary type : Competitive salary plus superannuation and salary packaging (negotiable based on experience)
About the role
This is an opportunity to join a network of highly skilled women who are passionate about the safety of women and children. The role of the Shelter Manager is to oversee the operation of a crisis shelter for women and children escaping domestic and family violence or who are homeless.
The Haven Shelter is one in a network of seven Women’s Community Shelters. We operate our services based on feminist principles and provide trauma informed, client centred, strengths and evidence-based practice. We work with women and children to develop resilience and build resources.
We take a collaborative approach to our work, with an engaged Board of Management and identified peer support and practice development resources to support you in the role.
The Shelter Manager reports to the Haven Nepean Shelter Board.
The Shelter Manager is responsible for:
- Developing and maintaining a service of quality that is a place of safety, security, comfort and confidentiality for clients.
- Leading a team of 5 case workers to deliver effective outcomes-oriented case work practice.
- Providing supervision and developing the strengths of the team, establishing an effective team through building professional trust and effectively engaging with volunteers to support shelter activities as appropriate.
- Developing and maintaining links and referral pathways with housing, health, police, community services, other relevant services in the community.
- Work collaboratively with the Haven Nepean Womens Shelter Board in the effective administration of the service.
- Working with the support of the WCS Hub to implement ASES accreditation.
- Ensuring compliance with the Specialist Homelessness Services NSW Guidelines
Relevant tertiary qualifications and/or equivalent years in experience in a similar role.
- Demonstrated commitment to feminist principles
- Demonstrated experience in working with clients from culturally diverse backgrounds including using telephone interpreting services
- Experience leading or managing a female-focused crisis, transitional accommodation, or housing service.
- A developed understanding of current issues in women’s homelessness, including current practices in the NSW context of responses to domestic and family violence
- A sound and developed understanding of the principles of case-management, trauma-informed care and client-centric approaches in the context of women’s services
- 5 years + and recent experience in managing staff, including professional development and supervision
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills, including the ability to lead and influence
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively and collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders, including the Haven Nepean Womens Shelter Board, staff, clients, local service and community partners, the government and NGO sectors
- Capacity to assist in building strategic direction for the service
- Ability to think creatively and drive innovative solutions and practices
- An understanding of access, equity, diversity and Work Health and Safety principles and the ability to deliver a non-judgemental and supportive service to clients
- Sound computer skills, including Microsoft Office and case-management software
- Current NSW Driver’s License
- Ability to attend to on-call matters and supporter events out of normal office hours
- Experience in managing clients with mental health issues & knowledge of referral pathways and procedures
- Knowledge and understanding of funding streams, including community fundraising
- Experience with using CIMS vacancy management service
- Process payroll for shelter staff using keypay (training available)
About the organisation
Organisation Name : The Haven - Nepean Women's Shelter
The Haven, Nepean Women's Shelter is a charitable, non-profit organisation supporting homeless women in Penrith.
We provide a safe haven for women who – due to physical, emotional or sexual abuse, family breakdown, financial strife, domestic violence, mental health issues or lack of affordable housing – are homeless.
The Haven - Nepean Women's Shelter provides trauma informed care that is client-centred and adopts a strength based model, incorporating reflective practice. Our practice model is evidence based and we espouse a resilience approach.
The Haven is part of the Women's Community Shelters network which means staff have the peer support of six sister shelters as well as the Hub that provides professional practice support.