Reporting to the Manager People & Governance, this new and exciting role (Policy & Governance Officer) will be responsible for developing, implementing, monitoring, and maintaining the Council’s governance and policy frameworks.
Located within the Top End of the Northern Territory, the West Daly Regional Council (Council) covers 14,000 square kilometres and has a population of more than 3700 residents throughout the communities of Wadeye, Nganmarriyanga and Peppimenarti as well as the surrounding 33 homelands, 14 of which are serviced by Council. Wadeye is the largest remote community and the fifth largest town in the Northern Territory.
A young and vibrant Regional Council, our vision is to deliver quality services and support development opportunities, including local jobs for local people, along with implementing a range of strategies that will help shape a prosperous and sustainable future for the region.
The role of the Policy & Governance Officer will:
- Work with the Manager People & Governance to develop, implement, monitor and continually improve the Council’s Governance and Policy Frameworks and to ensure compliance with the Local Government Act 2019 (and other relevant legislation).
- Identify emerging issues in relation to corporate governance from a local government perspective and assist in the development of appropriate actions and recommendations.
- Document, compile and distribute quality agenda papers and minutes for Council and Local Authority meetings, ensuring compliance with the requirements of the NT Local Government Act and relevant Legislation and Regulations.
- Attend Council and Local Authority meetings in-person (including travel to community) to record minutes, and subsequent to each meeting, ensure all Council and Local Authority decisions are followed up by responsible officers.
- In collaboration with the Manager People & Governance, provide specialist advice to the Chief Executive Officer in relation to the interpretation of legislation, particularly the NT Local Government Act.
- Coordinate the induction training for Elected Members following a Local Government election or a Council by-election.
- Undertake other duties commensurate with skills and experience.
To be suitable for this role, you will have demonstrable knowledge and experience in (but not limited to):
- The provision and development, implementation and interpretation of governance frameworks;
- Knowledge and (or ability to acquire) an understanding of legislation relevant to Local Government in the Northern Territory; and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills which demonstrate an ability to consult, negotiate and mediate at all levels within the organisation and with key stakeholders including Elected Members.
If this role sounds like you and you are passionate about making a difference in local community then we would love to hear from you!
Interested to know more? Please reach out to Belinda Beltz, People & Culture Specialist on 0409 002 654 or email email@example.com using the subject line: Policy & Governance Officer enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.