The Opportunity to be a Changemaker…
As part of a dynamic team focused on Social Entrepreneurship and Economic Development (SEED), the Economic Development Advisor is responsible for providing high quality technical advice to World Vision Australia’s (WVA) growing portfolio in Market Systems Development programming.
Working together and within the SEED team, the role will support the design of concept notes and program designs for WVA’s supported projects and provide subject-matter technical support to National Offices (NOs) during the implementation and evaluation of these projects.
Your main duties and responsibilities will include:
- Provide market systems/value chain development technical advice in the preparation of WVA Concept Notes for funding and design documents with market-based development objectives, drawing on existing approaches (e.g. the Local Value Chain Development project model (LVCD) and micro franchising), evolving emerging approaches (market systems development or M4P), and/or initiating new evidence-based solutions
- Support the development of inclusive approaches to market systems/value chain development, including promoting pro-poor and Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) outcomes;
- Support market systems/value chain development capacity building needs of National Office’s (NO’s) project implementation teams through designing and delivering training courses (face to face and on-line) and project management tools.
- Provide market systems/value chain development technical input to WVA teams working on grants acquisition, business development, program management, evidence and learning, advocacy and communications.
- Undertake ongoing research on prevailing practices in market systems and value chain development and insights from WV projects, and use findings to inform programming evolution e.g. utilising MSD principles within the Ultra-Poor Graduation Model developed by BRAC; applying MSD in fragile contexts.
- Taking World Vision forward as the NGO partner of choice in Market Systems Programming – contributing to thought leadership and pre-positioning with donors, partners and peers for future programming opportunities.
- Liaise with WVI’s Global Livelihoods team and integrate market systems development within the global strategy as a technical expert.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Relevant tertiary degree in Business, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Development Studies or similar
- Extensive knowledge of local economic development, particularly market systems development (MSD/M4P), value chain development, private sector development and entrepreneurship in the international development context
- Hands on experience designing and implementing M4P and value chain development programs in an international development, preferably with medium term experience (or longer) in a developing country
- Knowledge of community development and behaviour change principles and practises, particularly as they relate to income generation
- Ability to identify social, cultural, behavioural barriers to local economic development and recommend interventions to bring desired change
- Ability to see opportunities and contribute to practical economic development program designs, including community-based and led programs
- Ability to understand and apply community development, social development, behavioural change principles into programs
- Core skills in design, monitoring and evaluation in economic development programs
- Ability to undertake research and economic analysis, analyse findings and make use of information in practical ways (e.g. market assessments, value chain assessments)
- Ability to communicate effectively with a large range of diverse international stakeholders through many communication mediums (F2F, written, presentation, facilitation, Skype/Teams)
What you need to know:
This role is a two year fixed term role operating in a full-time capacity and will be based at the WVA Head Office at 1 Vision Drive, Burwood East, Victoria.
- Salary range: $85,000 - $95,000 AUD including Superannuation plus salary packing benefits
- Opening Date: 7th April 2021
- Closing date: 7th May 2021 at 5pm
World Vision Australia takes our Safeguarding responsibilities seriously and we provide an environment that is safe for our child and adult beneficiaries. We have strong recruitment procedures to make sure the safest and most suitable people work with the children in our programs. All successful candidates will undergo a criminal record and Working with Children check prior to employment. We provide our staff and volunteers with ongoing supervision, support and training in their work with child and adult beneficiaries.
Why World Vision…
World Vision is a global community, working together for the one purpose – to bring about positive change in the lives of the world’s most vulnerable children. People are inspired to work for us because they want to contribute to making a difference. We are part of an international team, using our talent, determination and influence to invest in a better tomorrow. As a global Christian humanitarian organisation, we provide short-term and long-term assistance and have impacted the lives of over 200 million vulnerable children and people worldwide. With approximately 37,000 staff members working in nearly 100 countries, World Vision has been engaging people to work towards eliminating poverty and its causes for almost 7 decades.
World Vision Australia delivers life changing impact because we are community-led, child-focused and inspired by our Christian faith.
When it comes to our people, as an organisation we embrace diversity, employing people from a variety of cultural and religious backgrounds.