- Term: Part-time 0.6FTE fixed-term contract from July 2021 – April 2023
- Renumeration: SCHADS Award Level 4.1, plus super and four weeks leave (pro rata)
- Hours: 22.5 hours per week, with flexible conditions
- Office location: Geraldton (office location TBC)
- Activity location: Geraldton, with semi-occasional travel undertaken around the wider Midwest region for events, meetings, and consultations. There will be semi-occasional travel to Perth required for key meetings and events
- Reports to: Regional Programs Manager
The Youth Affairs Council of Western Australia (YACWA) is the peak non-government youth organisation in Western Australia. We operate primarily as a human rights organisation that seeks to address the exclusion of young people in a rapidly changing society. YACWA provides a voice and acts as a role model for the definition and demonstration of youth participation. Our work is governed by four guiding principles of respect, equity, integrity, and the celebration of diversity.
As WA’s Peak Body for young people and the youth services sector, YACWA has a state-wide remit, however, being a Perth based, relatively small organisation, reaching regional communities has been a challenge for the organisation over its 40-plus year history. Due to recent funding from Lotterywest, YACWA is now able to expand its staffing to two areas (the Great Southern and Mid-West) to enable a greater reflection of regional voices and issues in YACWA’s work. This work will be overseen by a newly appointed Regional Programs Manager who will focus on regional issues and sector needs across the state. YACWA’s core functions of youth participation, policy and advocacy and sector support will be at the heart of our work across regional Western Australia.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
This is a newly created role. The Regional Project Officer (Midwest) will be responsible for building the profile of YACWA in the Midwest and providing support to the youth sector and young people in this region. While this role will be based in Geraldton, it will involve travel within the Midwest region as well as semi-occasional trips to Perth for key meetings and events.
Key goals for this role will be to:
- Assist with building YACWA’s reach and presence in the Midwest region, managing new relationships and delivering project activities to assist the sector and young people.
- Provide support to existing youth sector networks, strengthen our knowledge of sector needs and build the capability of the workforce to better connect and learn from each other.
- Develop an understanding of the rapidly changing needs of young people and youth services in the Midwest, as a result of COVID-19, and to identify new ideas, solutions to respond and build sector capacity.
- Be part of the ‘go-to’ team on regional issues at YACWA.
- Represent YACWA at regional meetings and local youth networks.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders to inform YACWA’s work in the Midwest
- Work with the Regional Programs Manager to identify and build project activities that support young people and the youth sector in response to identified needs
- Undertake engagement and consultation activities with young people and youth sector representatives to feed into YACWA’s policy and advocacy work
- Plan, organise and deliver local events, activities and training
- Represent YACWA at regional meetings
- Support regional youth networks
- Feed quality information through to the Regional Manager and wider YACWA team
- Participate in regional program meetings and wider YACWA meetings and key events and activities as required
- Other tasks as directed by the Regional Programs Manager
- Currently residing in Geraldton (or with strong local connections and ties to the region, with the ability to relocate)
- Relevant qualifications or demonstrated experience in a similar role
- Strong relationship-building and stakeholder engagement abilities
- Good understanding of youth issues in the Midwest region
- Strong written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to plan and deliver projects
- Self-driven with the ability to work autonomously and part of a dispersed team
- A WA Driver’s Licence and access to own reliable vehicle
- A current National Police Clearance and Working With Children Check, or the ability to obtain these
- Experience of co-designing youth engagement opportunities
- Experience organising and facilitating meetings and events
- Well-developed youth and community networks in the Midwest region
Enquiries about this role should be directed to Olivia Knowles, Regional Programs Manager via firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Regional Project Officer - Geraldton enquiry via EthicalJobs or 9227 5440 during office hours.
A position description is attached.
YACWA values diversity and we are strongly committed to providing a safe, inclusive workspace for all staff. We strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from culturally diverse backgrounds, LGBTIQA+ individuals and people living with a disability.
For more information about YACWA visit yacwa.org.au or facebook.com/yacwa