- Fixed term contract until 30 June 2024
- Full time position
The headspace mission is to collaborate design and deliver innovative ways of working with young people to strengthen their mental health and wellbeing.
headspace provides a holistic approach to supporting all young people who enter their centres by providing support through four core areas: mental health, physical (including sexual) health, alcohol and other drug services, and work and study support.
headspace Geraldton is part of a national network of over 100 headspace centres operating across Australia with the vision of all young Australians being supported to be mentally health and engaged in their communities.
About the current vacancy
Youth Focus, the lead agency for headspace Geraldton, are currently seeking a full time Vocational Support Specialist, committed to supporting young people in the Geraldton area on their work and study journey.
The Australian Government Individual Placement and Support (IPS) Trial will provide vocational assistance for young people with a mental illness up to the age of 25 years.
The IPS role will involve:
- Provision of Individual Placement and Support (IPS) vocational services to young people with mental health issues as an integrated part of the centre's service provision.
- Applying IPS practice principles to translate into the fidelity scale for best practice.
- Carrying a caseload of clients, ensuring the provision of client-centred, needs based support, which allows individuals to either remain in, or gain access to employment or education.
- Working closely within a multidisciplinary team, working to provide career development advice and support of a vocational/non-vocational nature.
Successful candidates will possess:
- Diploma or degree level qualifications in a relevant field.
- A passion for working with young people.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the rationale and evidence for the IPS model.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to operate effectively within a multidisciplinary team.
- A broad understanding of the challenges and experiences of young people in Australia, including specific community factors.
- Competence regarding information technology, software packages and willingness to be trained and implement the headspace data collection tool.
- Excellent organisational, time management and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and proven ability to build and nurture relationships at a personal, organisational and community level.
- Ability to network, negotiate and influence stakeholders to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation, government policies and strategic directions in relation to mental health and vocational services, particularly as they relate to young people.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to be part of an innovative, diversified and growing organisation.
- Competitive salary with ongoing industry benchmarking and access to salary packaging.
- Well-appointed, youth friendly, office environment.
- Comprehensive training, induction and support within the role as well as ongoing quality supervision and professional development opportunities.
- Above award annual leave, long service leave parental leave and superannuation entitlements, which increase in line with tenure.
- Vibrant staff engagement, highly motivated team.
If you are interested in this position, please submit an application, inclusive of a cover letter via seek.
- Appointment to the role is subject to the successful candidate providing a clear a National Police Check certificate and Working with Children Check card.
- Due to the high volume of applications received for our advertised positions, only those applicants who are short-listed will be contacted. To those applicants not short listed, we extend our appreciation for considering Youth Focus as a potential employer.
Youth Focus is committed to embracing diversity and eliminating all forms of discrimination in the provision of mental health services. Youth Focus welcomes all people irrespective of ethnicity, diverse abilities, age, lifestyle choice, faith, sexual orientation and gender identity.