- Full-time role
- Located in Geraldton
- $75,000 - $85,000 per annum, pro-rata plus super
The headspace mission is to collaborate to design and deliver innovative ways of working with young people to strengthen their mental health and wellbeing.
headspace provides a holistic approach to supporting all young people who enter their centres by providing support through four core areas: mental health, physical (including sexual) health, alcohol and other drug services, and work and study support.
Headspace Geraldton is part of a national network of over 100 headspace centres operating across Australia with the vision of all young Australians being supported to be mentally health and engaged in their communities
headspace Geraldton is currently seeking an experienced and dedicated Full-Time Youth Counsellor to provide comprehensive and best-practice, youth friendly mental health services within our headspace Geraldton centre.
- Work under the direction of headspace Geraldton Clinical Lead to provide youth friendly, mental health services within the headspace Geraldton centre.
- Provide a comprehensive intake service to young people, community members and professionals seeking services at headspace Geraldton, including receiving and processing telephone and faxed referrals.
- Engage, assess, implement and coordinate the clinical care for young people and their families accessing headspace Geraldton.
- Assist in the referral of young people to appropriate programs either within headspace Geraldton or other community agencies.
- Participate in community awareness raising activities that promote early help seeking and intervention for mental health and substance use.
Successful candidates will possess:
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline.
- Membership of an appropriate professional body.
- Minimum of three years’ experience working in a tier 2/3 youth mental health environment, with people, families and community organisations.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to engage, work with and coordinate care for young people aged 12 to 25 years in areas of mental health and substance use intervention.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to undertake screening and assessment to determine young person’s needs level of risk and to refer to other services as appropriate.
- Demonstrated clinical experience working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people.
- Experience with or an understanding of Bush Adventure Therapy (BAT) and the four key mechanisms for change that inform the clinical implementation of it as a practice option in a mental health context.
- Well-developed knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation, government policies and strategic directions in relation to mental health and alcohol and other drug disorders, particularly as it relates to young people.
- Commitment to supporting clinical research within the service.
- Competence regarding information technology, software packages and willingness to be trained and implement the headspace Geraldton data collection tool.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary with the ability to salary package.
- Youth friendly environment that values and encourages teamwork and innovation
- Flexible working arrangements, supportive of individual needs
- Above award annual and long service leave (on a pro-rata and continuous service basis)
- An additional week of leave after three and half years of service, and a further week pro-rated after 10 years of service
- Five weeks of long service leave after five years of service, and a further seven weeks after seven years;
- 13 weeks paid parental leave after 12 months of continuous service plus four weeks paid partner leave
- At the start of the third year of service, an additional one percent superannuation employer contribution is made, increasing by one percent for every year of service, up to a maximum of three percent
Appointment to the role is subject to the successful candidate providing a clear a National Police Check certificate and Working with Children Check card.
Please note the role may close earlier than the date stated above if we find a suitable candidate.
Due to the high volume of applications received for our advertised positions, only those applicants who are short-listed will be contacted. To those applicants not short-listed, we extend our appreciation for considering Youth Focus as a potential employer.
headspace is committed to embracing diversity and eliminating all forms of discrimination in the provision of mental health services. headspace welcomes all people irrespective of ethnicity, age, lifestyle choice, faith, sexual orientation and gender identity.