Are you a recent law graduate or 1-3 year PQE solicitor with a passion for policy and law reform? The Bar Association is seeking a Policy Lawyer to join our Policy and Public Affairs team. As a Policy Lawyer, your role is to provide effective advice, legal research and guidance on a wide range of policy and law reform issues to the Department and to provide secretariat support to the twelve barristers’ policy committees we serve.
Responsibilities include to:
- Provide secretariat support to committees of volunteer barristers appointed by Bar Council (preparing agendas, minutes and meeting papers and providing support to committee chairs);
- Assist committees to prepare submissions for NSW and Australian Governments, Parliamentary Committees, the Law Council of Australia, and other government and law reform agencies;
- Undertake policy analysis and legal research;
- Draft briefing notes, memorandums and submissions on legal policy issues; and
- Other duties as required.
Work outside the core standard hours will occasionally be necessary, as committee meetings are held between 5-7pm. This position reports to the Manager of Policy and Public Affairs.
The successful applicant will have:
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills;
- Legal reasoning and legal research skills;
- Interest and capacity to develop cultural competency;
- A proven ability to work autonomously as well as collaboratively in a small team;
- Strategic and innovative problem solving skills;
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflicting priorities and meet tight deadlines;
- High level organisational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent IT skills, including competency using Word, Powerpoint, Excel, online legal research databases and social media;
- Proven ability to research and develop responses to complex legal and policy issues;
- Detailed knowledge of NSW and Australian government, parliamentary and legal systems;
- Demonstrated interest in access to justice issues and solutions;
- An LLB or JD qualification (mandatory);
- Legal policy or legal practice experience will be looked upon favourably but is not essential. Graduates, newly admitted lawyers or solicitors with 1-3 PQE are encouraged to apply.
The salary for this role is $65k plus, depending on experience.
If this sounds like the perfect opportunity for you, click the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
The Association is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all eligible candidates, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religious affiliation, age or disability. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.