about the opportunity
The AMWU represents workers in a wide range of industries, including: metal, engineering, vehicle, food and printing.
The Victorian Branch of the AMWU is seeking to employ a passionate and committed Industrial Officer to join our team in February 2022. This position would suit a candidate who enjoys new challenges and the opportunity to work with a highly regarding organisation at the forefront of industrial relations.
It would be beneficial for the applicant to have a demonstrated experience in a similar role.
The position undertakes a range of industrial and legal work including but not limited to:
- Preparation of cases and representing the union and our members before the Fair Work Commission, other tribunals such as VCAT and courts.
- Briefing counsel.
- Handling a wide range of membership grievances, including: unfair dismissals, discrimination and victimisation, the pursuit of entitlements under industrial instruments.
- Conducting research into companies, so as to assist the union in bargaining and in insolvency matters.
- Providing internal advice on legislative and industrial instrument interpretation, and other industrial matters.
- Drafting terms for agreements.
The ideal candidate will possess
- A comprehensive knowledge of the law in these areas: industrial, employment, discrimination, procedure and evidence. Expertise in areas such as corporations (including insolvency), administrative law and commercial law would be well regarded.
- Well developed interpersonal skills, the ability to work under pressure, self-motivation and good administrative practices.
- The ability to work co-operatively and effectively within a group environment with a broad range of people.
- A full understanding of industrial relations concepts.
- Previous experience in a union office or a labour law firm will be highly regarded.
- Experience in advocacy is essential.
- Legal qualifications and a current practising certificate will be highly regarded.
- A commitment to trade unionism is essential.
Salary package will be commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
how to apply
To submit your application click Apply Now.
The AMWU is an equal opportunity employer.