- Are you an experienced bike mechanic with the ability to engage young people in the community? Do you have a passion for social justice?
- Are you looking for a vibrant and dynamic setting that is working towards creating positive systemic change to support our most vulnerable children and young people?
- Want a flexible, casual position?
- If you are, THEN THIS IS WHERE YOU WANT TO BE!
Banksia Gardens Community Services is a vibrant community service charitable organisation operating in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. Our programs focus mainly on education and training, young people, early childhood, environmental sustainability and community participation and advocacy.
ABOUT THE ROLE
An exciting position is available developing and implementing the Banksia Gardens Estate Bicycle Program, engaging young people at the Banksia Gardens Estate with bicycle repairs, maintenance and upgrades.
Key responsibilities include:
- Bicycle Mechanics/Maintenance
- Set up a low budget bicycle repair workshop - sourcing tools, materials and equipment
- Maintain a safe, clean and tidy workspace
- Keep track of stock
- Source and repair donated bicycles
- Share knowledge of bicycle repairs and maintenance with a young cohort
- Community and Youth Engagement
- Listen to and build rapport with young people from diverse backgrounds,
- Socialising and engaging with a diverse cohort of residents from the Banksia Gardens Estate.
- Develop and deliver youth-focused bicycle workshops and activities
- Be ready to activate ideas from community members, even if they are not related to the bicycle program.
- Organising Community and Social Events
- Set up activities
- Allocate tasks to volunteers, staff and participants
- Food ordering/preparation may be involved for community events
We are looking for a bicycle mechanic with community engagement skills. Qualifications in youth work, community development, or similar fields is desirable but not required. Experience working with highly disenfranchised children and families will also be favourably considered.
- You are excellent with bikes! You can source, repair, upgrade and tinker with bicycles and bicycle tools.
- You are an energetic, people person who can build a strong rapport with young people from diverse backgrounds or who have had challenging life experiences.
- You are able to work collaboratively within a team delivering high-quality engagement programs in a fast paced, dynamic setting.
- You are committed to creating a safe space for the community to gather, learn and share new skills.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- A casual flexible position.
- Join a passionate and dedicated team making a positive difference in our community.
- Encouraged work-life balance and a broad range of leave entitlements, including annual leave, personal leave, purchased leave, leading paid parental leave, study leave and paid family and domestic violence leave.
- Access to a range of mental health and wellbeing supportive initiatives, including confidential counselling services and education programs, through our Employee Assistance Program.
- Salary packaging and novated lease arrangements on offer with leading provider, AccessPay, reducing your tax.
- Access to a range of ongoing learning and development opportunities that will benefit and support you in your role.
BGCS is a child-safe organisation and is committed to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of children and young people with zero tolerance for child abuse. All successful applicants will be required to undertake a National Police Record Check and Working with Children Check prior to commencement of employment and periodically following commencement.
A full position description is attached below.
To find out more about the role call Edgar on 0466 336 642 or email email@example.com using the subject line: Bicycle & Community Engagement Officer enquiry via EthicalJobs.
To submit your application click Apply Now.