The ECF’s Strategic Communications Team is currently accepting applications for the role of Strategic Communications Associate, Oil & Gas (Australia).
Working as part of an international team of expert communicators, the successful candidate will provide strategic communications capacity to a wide network of partners, enabling them to run impactful communications campaigns which create more political space for action to phase out fossil fuels, and highlight the wider environmental impacts of oil and gas including hydrogen. The role will focus on Australia as well as relevant export markets such as those in Asia.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and highly driven communications professional with the ambition to make a difference and play an active role in helping speed up the low carbon transition internationally.
This person will report to the Australia Strategic Communications Lead, working closely with the Strategic Communications Senior Associate, Oil & Gas (based in Europe).
- Developing an Australian oil, gas and hydrogen communications strategy.
- Tracking industry, political, public and media conversations around decarbonisation initiatives and policies in Australia, new technologies in oil and gas, the developing story of hydrogen’s role in energy transition, and strategising ways to influence these debates.
- Assisting on other global campaigns run by the Oil & Gas team.
- Identifying opportunities for mainstream media interventions and social media campaigns that stress the urgency of Australian decarbonisation, empowering bodies, people and companies to take action.
- Building and maintaining relationships with relevant actors in the industry, policy, and media spheres on these topics, while leveraging a wide network of partners, and working with them to create or engage in media opportunities.
- Using and learning digital skills to communicate our messages cleverly over social media and some management of existing accounts.
- Helping create communications plans around key intervention opportunities and providing outreach for media briefings and reports, including proof-reading press releases and giving critical feedback.
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the ECF
- A passion to create change
- Proven experience of either journalistic, communications or campaigning experience
- Proven skills to produce engaging and impactful written materials
- A sound understanding of the energy industry, with a particular focus on Australian politics and institutions.
- A quick and curious learner who asks critical questions
- A strategic thinker with proven ability to develop and implement robust communications plans
- Excellent networking and interpersonal skills
- Existing relationships with key energy, finance, or climate correspondents highly desirable (alternatively the proven ability to develop these swiftly)
- Good knowledge of the Australian political landscape and related markets, as well as good knowledge of the oil and gas sector including hydrogen
- An independent self-starter able to work on their own and as part of a remote team
- The disposition to work generously with colleagues in a high-trust global community of peers
- The versatile and adaptable skills necessary to flourish in a fast-paced and wide-ranging work environment and work across phone/video conferencing, time zones, Slack, email, Trello, etc.
- A commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to facing climate change
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time position with a consultant or employment contract (subject to location) for 12 months, with a possible renewal after one year.
Anywhere in Australia (this is a remote working role). This role will require travel to Sydney and/or Melbourne where other team members are based.
We are unable to provide sponsorship for work visas.
Some international travel will be required. We may be able to provide co-working spaces in some locations.
Only candidates with the right to work in their location will be considered.
Note: As this job is being advertised over the holiday period, we will be accepting applications through January 2022. We also recognise this is a niche area and keen to support the right candidate to develop these skills, so please consider applying or contacting us even if you don't meet all the criteria.
We have a strong commitment to inclusion and diversity so encourage applications from communities traditionally excluded from the climate and energy space.
If you have any questions about this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (on leave between 24/12/21 and 10/1/22) using the subject line: Strategic Communications Associate - Oil & Gas - Flexible Location enquiry via EthicalJobs.