- Do you want to do work that really matters? Help us end avoidable blindness
- Located in Canberra ACT
- Full time (part time will be considered along with flexible work arrangements)
ABOUT THE FRED HOLLOWS FOUNDATION
Come and join our international development organisation, working to eradicate avoidable blindness. Currently operating in over 25 countries throughout Australia, the Pacific, Africa, South Asia and South East Asia, The Foundation has restored sight to over two million people worldwide. We have an ambitious five year strategic plan that aims to take The Foundation even closer to realising our vision of a world in which no person is needlessly blind and Indigenous Australians exercise their right to good health.
This newly created greenfield position will play a lead role in driving The Foundation’s approach to government in Australia and to our international markets of interest, with the goal of building our support from government and related bi-lateral funders to ensure we grow and maintain a new and diverse portfolio of grants, contracts and partnerships aligned to our priorities.
- Understanding, influencing, and aligning The Foundation with Australian government strategy, policy and trends
- Assessing and reporting on political risks and funding opportunities relevant to us, and to the eye health sector generally in the context of government policy. This includes the Australian domestic environment as well as the government’s geo-political and development interests in the regions in which we operate
- Maintaining a strong network of contacts within the Australian government including Ministers, advisors, backbenchers, departments and other decision makers, and managing a calendar of engagement that ensures you are representing The Foundation’s interests.
- Developing and implementing a framework for our teams outside Australia to engage with their respective political and departmental offices, heads of mission and other key representatives to further the goals of our funding, advocacy and partnership objectives in those jurisdictions.
- Providing advice, written materials, briefs, policy statements, research and proposals relating to government policy, departmental trends and/or government funding opportunities
- Working closely with internal ODA and other fundraising stakeholders including program development, country managers, fundraising market leads, and the Strategic Initiatives team, to co-create government funding opportunities in Australia and abroad.
- Linking The Foundation’s teams in fundraising, advocacy, campaigns and strategic partnership work into a cogent Government Relations narrative that promotes a strong organisational profile as a trusted, transparent, effective development partner to governments in Australia and around the world.
- Assisting The Foundation and individual staff in their capacity as representatives to sector wide bodies including ACFID, Vision2020, WHO and others.
- Other areas as directed by management, relevant to the Philanthropy & Government Relations Team, and the Public Affairs Division.
You are a natural leader! You have a global lens on all initiatives and are culturally tuned with each interaction. You have lived experience interacting with Ministers, advisors, backbenchers, departments and other political decision makers within fragile or complex environments. You thrive in working independently and take pride in providing technical expertise to all stakeholders at all levels. You are a comms GURU both written and spoken! You’re looking to take your career to the next level seeing this opportunity as a springboard to grow your personal brand within the sector. Or you may be a seasoned professional looking to apply your years’ experience towards a cause with purpose and meaning!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO SUCCEED
- Minimum 3 years experience as a Government Relations professional at federal level within Australia.
- Demonstrated network within government including Ministers, advisors, departmental staff and other decision makers
- Demonstrated stakeholder management experience both internal and external
- Deep knowledge of institutional funding processes, budget process, and approaches to govt
- Experience maintaining systems and process, such as procedures, policies, files & records
- Budgeting and financial reporting support experience
- Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness to identify and solve issues proactively
How we recognise your contribution
Through our internal programs and employee benefits we aim to create an environment where you will feel supported and empowered. Whether your focus is on continuous learning, professional development or simply finding an environment which enables you to thrive while balancing family or personal commitments, then we have a number of programs in place to support you.
- Doing meaningful work that will help shape the lives of those living in communities
- Flexible work environment – we focus on output not hours
- Generous Leave allowances, including time of for cultural significant/ceremonial leave
- Ongoing commitment to your continuous learning and career development
To find out more about our benefits click here.
If this opportunity appeals to you and suits your skills, we would love to have a confidential conversation with you. Please reach out to our Talent Acquisition Specialist, on email@example.com using the subject line: Government Relations Manager enquiry via EthicalJobs, kindly note that CV’s will not be considered through this email address.
The Fred Hollows Foundation is committed to protecting the rights of children and community partners in all areas where we work. Applicants are advised that The Foundation reserves the right to conduct police checks and other screening procedures to ensure we maintain and promote a child safe environment.
A job advert document is attached.