- Play a key role to accelerate the transition to 100% renewable energy.
- Geelong region or within the Barwon South West
- Full Time
- $70,000 - $80,000 + superannuation
- Flexible working arrangements
- Fixed Term Contract - 30 June 2022 (renewal subject to funding)
- Not-for-profit purpose driven organisation
About the Role
We are seeking a full-time experienced Community Energy Project Officer to coordinate the activities of Barwon South West Community Power Hub. This role will focus on working collaboratively with community energy groups and other key stakeholders to develop a pipeline of socially acceptable, financially feasible and technically viable renewable energy projects across the region.
The Community Power Hub (CPH) program will accelerate Victoria’s transition to a renewable energy future. Geelong Sustainability is the lead organisation for the Barwon South West Community Power Hub and will work collaboratively with community energy groups and key stakeholders across the region to develop and deliver implementation ready community renewable energy projects across the region. Through the delivery of community-based renewable energy projects, the CPH will reduce greenhouse gas emissions and increase community support for Renewable Energy. It will also enable local economic benefits to be realised through cost savings for communities and support for local Renewable Energy jobs.
Key Accountabilities include:
- Supporting the Program Manager to deliver the Barwon South West Community Power Hub and meet project objectives.
- Engage and build relationships with Community Energy groups and other key stakeholders to identify community energy projects for development.
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders to identify preferred business models for Community Power Hub pipeline of projects
- Responsibility for the preparation of community energy project feasibility assessments including renewable energy, battery storage and energy efficiency technologies.
- Engage and work with professional service providers to access legal, financial and technical support for project business case development.
- Writing and communicating content for the purposes of community and business education around the Community Power Hub, coordinating with the Communications and Events Coordinator to provide information for workshops and events, media releases, webpages, newsletters and project information, event publicity etc.
- Accurate record keeping and reporting aligned with the funding reporting format to provide evidence of activities undertaken, project development, community and key stakeholder engagement, and targeted milestones.
- Meet with and report on a regular basis to the Program Manager.
- Work with relevant stakeholders to ensure project delivery is within approved guidelines.
- Actively contribute ideas and work collaboratively with the project team.
- Support the Small Business Energy Saver Project Coordinator in the delivery of the Small Business Energy Saver Program if required.
- Support Geelong Sustainability’s vision and strategy in all communications
- Any other duties as deemed appropriate by the Program Manager.
Key Selection Criteria
- Tertiary qualifications in renewable energy, engineering, environment, sustainability or relevant discipline, and/or equivalent relevant work experience
- High level of renewable energy literacy, with demonstrated success in undertaking renewable energy, energy storage and/or energy efficiency feasibility assessments and business case preparation.
- Proven competency and technical knowledge of solar PV, battery storage, energy distribution networks, renewable energy.
- Demonstrated experience in community engagement or relationship building with community stakeholders or businesses.
- Demonstrated understanding of Community Energy projects including feasible business models and the elements required for project viability.
- Demonstrated experience working independently at the direction of Management, delivering work to the required standard and timeframes and showing initiative and a proactive approach to task prioritisation, execution and problem solving
- Demonstrated experience in educating and connecting members of public with grants, bonuses and / or funding in the context of energy efficiency
- Ability to manage allocated budgets and project deliverables
- Experience in the preparation of reports for customers, stakeholders and management
- Ability to use online mapping tools, such as Google Earth and Nearmap.
- Ability and interest to learn advanced solar design and business case software, eg. Sunulator, Helioscope, OpenSolar.
- Excellent communication skills (written, digital and verbal) for engaging with a variety of audiences
- Ability to deal with pressure and work to demanding deadlines, including juggling multiple projects and competing priorities effectively
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to develop relationships, working collaboratively and inclusively with a range of stakeholders at varying levels including individuals, small business, and public and private sector organisations
- High level of digital literacy including MS Office, Social Media and Data Management systems.
- Ability to effectively speak at events (workshops, meetings, forums, receptions etc) for community and business audiences
- Ability to effectively plan, monitor and execute projects using a systemised approach and relevant tracking tools (e.g. Excel, Microsoft Project etc.)
- Knowledge of and commitment to the principles of sustainability
- Knowledge of Barwon South West and a strong local network
- Willingness to work and attend meetings outside of normal office hours
- A current Victorian driver’s licence and the use of a car
- Eligibility to work in Australia
To talk further about the position, please call Dan Cowdell, 0428 944 929.