- Full time
- Classification – Education Support Level 1-4 - $85,871
- Start Date – ASAP
- End Date 31 December 2022 Fixed Term
- Suburbs: Western suburbs of Melbourne
- Springside West Secondary College will be host school for this HEADSTART position
- Address the Selection Criteria
- Be lodged on the Recruitment Online link accessed by clicking Apply Now.
The successful candidate will be:
- Highly mobile and capable of accessing networks within the broader geographic boundaries of Western Melbourne.
- They will be tasked with establishing and facilitating relationships with employers and industry networks, liaising directly with HEADSTART Coordinators on a regular basis, and (where required) conducting site visits of students within individual workplaces.
- The successful candidate will also cooperate effectively with school communities within the Cluster and collaborate with other HEADSTART colleagues at both Cluster and State-wide Program level.
- The Industry Scout is expected to be a particularly flexible member of this team, for whom most work will be carried out outside of the host school location.
- The Industry Scout will be expected to make connections with employment opportunities for students not only within their own host school, but across multiple schools within the cluster.
- Demonstrated behaviours and attitudes consistent with the Victorian Public Service Values.
- Demonstrated proficiency to work cooperatively and build sustained partnerships with and between a range of industry and employment stakeholders including education and training providers, LLENs, Apprenticeship Support Networks, employers and industry groups in the Western Melbourne area.
- Demonstrated understanding of the employment market and job opportunities in western metropolitan Melbourne
- Ability to work both independently and in a team, adhering to program guidelines and timeframes.
- Capacity to support young people through regular site visits and mentoring.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills with the ability to self-manage caseloads.
- High-level verbal and written communication skills, which includes preparation of reports, development of resources, and presentations as required.
about the Role
The HEADSTART Industry Scout is responsible for developing and supporting HEADSTART industry and employment contacts as part of the HEADSTART Cluster team. This includes establishing and maintaining employer and industry connections to source and support the delivery of HEADSTART apprenticeships and traineeships in Western Melbourne. The focus of the Industry Scout position is to:
- Review information in relation to student industry and training pathways identified by HEADSTART Coordinators and the Learning Leader during individual HEADSTART student interviews.
- Identify, access, and recruit suitable employers to facilitate student employment trials and potential placements as per HEADSTART pathway options identified at interview.
- Assess suitability of employers and worksites prior to student placement, and, where required, conduct site visits to monitor student progress.
- Work collaboratively with both the Director and the Administration Manager to develop and maintain systems, processes and reporting to support the effective operation of HEADSTART in the Brimbank Melton Cluster.
The HEADSTART Industry Scout will work alongside HEADSTART Coordinators in reporting to the HEADSTART Cluster Director and will be required to contribute to the ongoing development of the HEADSTART team and program. The HEADSTART Industry Scout will also be required to provide regular reports on employer contact activity and outcomes.
Who May Apply
Individuals with the aptitude, experience and/or qualifications to fulfil the specific requirements of the position.
Conditions of Employment
The HEADSTART Industry Scout will be required to:
- Have a current driver’s licence and access to a car
- Have or be able to obtain a Working With Children check (http://www.workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au/)
- Be highly mobile. Work will occur across a range of schools and LGA’s. This may mean potentially changing the Industry Scout’s primary location over time.
- Complete work from a location(s) other than their host school.
HEADSTART is an exciting new $49.8m (over 4 years) initiative from the State Government to increase the numbers of students undertaking high quality Apprenticeships and Traineeships whilst still completing their Senior Secondary studies via flexible arrangements. HEADSTART Apprenticeships and Traineeships are characterised as meeting employer requirements and providing a strong pathway for students wishing to transition from school into employment with qualifications in their chosen field.
HEADSTART is being rolled out in over 100 schools in 10 clusters across Victoria, with targets to achieve an additional 1,700 new apprenticeships and traineeships from 2019–2022. The initiative is part of a suite of Careers and Pathways Reforms, including $109m for Careers Education, with a strong focus on Years 7–9 and $25.9m to strengthen Vocational Education in schools. All HEADSTART students will be expected to complete either a VCE or Senior VCAL as part of their successful HEADSTART pathway.
The successful applicant will be required to work some school holiday periods.
Due to potential amendments to both local school and DET policy in response to the COVID-19 situation, some flexibility will need to occur in relation to interview, appointment and commencement processes for this position. This may involve changes to interview dates, times and location at short notice, as well as the need for flexibility regarding appointment deadlines and possibly commencement of position. As the situation develops, there may also present a need to maintain flexibility regarding working location(s) and communication between program members once an appointment has been made. All queries regarding this should be made directly to the Cluster Director, Marg O’Shea, via email or phone as per below:
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Industry Scout - HEADSTART enquiry via EthicalJobs
Mobile – 0438 030 166.