New Wave is a self advocacy organisation located in Gippsland, Victoria. New Wave is run by and for people with intellectual disability and acquired brain injury.
New Wave has 3 groups across Gippsland in Morwell, Leongatha and Wonthaggi. Each group runs a fortnightly self advocacy group meeting and works to promote the rights of people with disability across the Gippsland region.
Auspiced by AMIDA, New Wave has current ILC funding to deliver a Connecting Through Technology project.
About the Connecting Through Technology Project
The project will support New Wave members to increase their:
- Motivation and confidence to take a more independent and individual approach to self advocacy.
- Skills and capacity to speak up and protect their rights.
- Skills, capacity and confidence to use technology to communicate and share information.
- Motivation and confidence to act on issues important to them.
- Participation in and contribution to community, in particular participation in face-to-face and online peer support and self advocacy.
- Communication between group members
- and increase the number of people involved in New Wave events, both face-to-face and online.
About the Position
The Project Coordinator will work from home and sites across Gippsland.
The role is a part-time, fixed term 3 day a week position from July 2021 until February 2023.
Salary is according to the SCHADS award level 6 with generous salary packaging options available.
A police check is required for this position.
Working with the project team, the Project Coordinator will:
- Coordinate the project across the three sites
- Support Project and Peer Workers
- Be responsible for reporting to the funding body
- Co-design a tailored training program in technology skills
- Establish New Wave digital communication platforms and update the New Wave website
- Support group members to build their technology skills in areas such as video making and uploading
- Support identified group members to become Tech Trainers to train their peers to use technology for self-advocacy and community connection
- Co-facilitate the delivery of digital training sessions to people with an intellectual disability in day services in Morwell, Wonthaggi & Leongatha
- Empower members to use their knowledge and skills in ways that support independence
- Work with service providers to help them understand that online self-advocacy is an accessible way for people with disability to share information with their peers and the broader community
Key Selection Criteria
- A commitment to and understanding of the human rights of people with disability
- Awareness of or experience in disability advocacy including self-advocacy
- Experience coordinating, running, evaluating and reporting on projects using co-design methods
- Experience supporting and supervising staff
- Demonstrated understanding of community inclusion, empowerment and group decision making
- Experience working with a broad range of community organisations and government bodies
- Experience working with people with cognitive disability
- Experience planning and delivering training to diverse audiences
- Excellent communication skills including proven ability to use Plain and Easy English
- Competent using multiple technology platforms including the Microsoft Office suite, online information storage systems, WordPress and demonstrated capacity to develop other digital skills
To find out more email email@example.com using the subject line: Project Coordinator - Connecting Through Technology - Gippsland enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.