Start your career in mental health as an Aboriginal Social & Emotional Wellbeing Trainee!
- Based in Armidale
- Closed-term full-time ending 30 June 2023 with possible extension.
- Rotating roster including weekend shifts
- Attractive hourly rates from $32.54/h+ 10% Super + salary packaging!
Who we are
Flourish Australia is one of Australia’s most experienced community mental health organisations. Our services are comprehensive and highly personalised because each person’s experience will be different and their needs, as an individual, are unique. Together we set goals, connect individuals with the right people, support services and opportunities to meet their needs.
Who Are We Looking For?
The Aboriginal Social & Emotional Wellbeing Trainee role is suitable for people who are new to the sector and looking for an opportunity to be mentored by our experienced teams!
The role would suit you if you:
- Are undertaking or committed to undertaking a relevant qualification (Certificate or Diploma) and are looking for practical experience working in the community with people with a lived experience of mental health;
- Have a strong local connection to or interest in working with Aboriginal and diverse communities;
What Will You Be Doing?
You will learn to work in the community with people who have a lived experience of mental health to develop their recovery journey to meet their hopes and dreams. This may involve:
- Using your knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal culture within the context of supporting people with a lived experience of mental health
- Supporting people to develop daily living skills such as preparing and cooking meals.
- Accompanying people on outings such as socialisation, recreational activities or attending appointments.
- Collaborating with and making referrals to other culturally appropriate support services so people can achieve their recovery goals
How Will We Support You?
- Supporting you to register for and complete a relevant qualification in Community Work, Mental Health or Welfare OR supporting you to gain experience if you are already studying.
- Flexible working conditions based around your study needs including designated class and study time.
- Supportive, culturally appropriate mentoring teams.
- Monthly reflective-practice sessions.
- Access to a range of training opportunities (e.g. Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training, Trauma Informed Care, Indigenous Cultural Awareness Training).
- Access to a culturally specific Employee Assistance Program, for confidential wellbeing support.
- Opportunities to potentially transition to our Peer or Mental Health Worker roles after completion of qualifications.
- Commitment to the completion of Cert IV or Diploma level qualifications.
- Commitment to developing an understanding of recovery-based practice and the challenges faced by people with a lived experience of a mental health issue.
- Current Australian driver's licence.
Please see full criteria and position description below.
About the Benefits
- Level 3 (SCHCADS) on the Flourish Australia Enterprise Agreement (2018)
- Tax-free salary packaging up to $15,900
- Generous leave provisions including 17.5% leave loading + 2 additional days of personal leave + Christmas/New Years gratis leave day + paid parental leave
- Vehicle Mileage Allowance
- Inclusive initiatives such as our Rainbow Network and YarnUp for Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander staff
All successful applicants will be asked to provide evidence of compliance with COVID-19 vaccination Public Health Orders (where applicable).